Separate Moan Thread About The Election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Jun 22, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,885
    So was I, in fairness - having just seen another clip of it, it wasn't NATO expansion it was EU expansion (thereby, also being NATO of course); the point is that he very clearly said that it was Putin's fault. He is fully entitled to his opinion that EU/NATO expansion gave Putin the excuse he was looking for so he could claim provocation - - and hey, get this for a radical idea... folks are entitled to have an opinion that you might not agree with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
      Ratings:
      +407
      Are you familiar with the alliances that forged a political environment where WW1 was legitimised ?

Have a read :)

Conflicts over Alliances
      In the age of imperialism prior to World War I, countries throughout Europe had created alliances. The alliances promised that each country would support the other if war ever broke out between an ally and another Great Power. Prior to WWI, the alliances of Russia and Serbia; France and Russia; Germany, Italy and Austria-Hungary; Britain, France and Belgium; France, Britain and Russia; and Japan and Britain were firmly in place. The alliance, between France, Britain and Russia, formed in 1907 and called the Triple Entente, caused the most friction among nations. Germany felt that this alliance surrounding them was a threat to their power and existence. As tensions continued to rise over alliances, the preexisting alliances fed into other countries declaring war against one another in the face of conflict. These conflicts over alliances — which forced nations to come to the defense of one another — led to the formation of the two sides of World War I, the Allied and Central Powers. By the start of the war, Italy and the United States entered on the side of the Allied Powers, which consisted of Russia, France and Great Britain. The Central Powers, alternately, consisted of Germany, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire and Bulgaria.

• Like Like x 3
      • Panda2

Panda2 Gardener

Ratings:
        +139
        As the Napoleon Bonaparte quote goes, never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Judging by the polls his approach seems to have appealed to the majority.

And now I’m going to ignore this discussion & stick with the gardening ones :gardening:

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +51,885
        Isn't it interesting that Starmer still has Duffield in the party though, given her behaviour during the pandemic? I mean, going off for rumpy-pumpy with someone that wasn't her husband is a bit more than eating cake in an office, no?

Mind you, he couldn't give a toss about the corruption that led to the vote of no confidence in the new FM of Wales...

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +51,885
        If only that were the case - the polls are not reflective of his, or the Labour party's popularity, but rather a reflection of just how narked off the bulk of the population is with the Tories. Our political system is set up that it is nigh on impossible to have a result where one or the other of Tories or Labour are in charge, so they take it turn about at shafting us. To describe our political landscape as a democracy is somewhere between deluded and blind.

• Agree Agree x 4
        • Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,994
          Of course everyone can have an opinion, and many people [ if not most ] do disagree with mine. What you can't do, is, to state as facts things that are wrong. That is lying, and that is what he was doing, and there are many other examples, 2 from yesterday:
          Students on visas, can bring their parents into the country.......they can't.
          Scrapping green energy tariffs will save £50 million.......it won't.

• Agree Agree x 4
          • Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
            Ratings:
            +407
            Despite the 1st Jan 24 changes, you can still bring dependants (including parents) to the UK if: You are a government-sponsored student who is studying a full-time programme of more than six months in duration; or. You are a postgraduate student studying a full time programme of nine months or more.

• Like Like x 2
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +51,885
              OK - what part of 'Putin is at fault' is wrong? The rest is purely his opinion.

What really makes me chuckle here is that it is abundantly clear that we are going to end up with Sir Flip-Flop in No.10 in a few weeks time, with the bulk of the remainder of the house made up from Tories and Lib Dem (because despite the percentages of votes, that is how our system works), yet for some reason the party that is likely to get the least seats has got the heads of all the other parties exploding. The leader, in particular, is literally living rent free in folks heads - either that or they are bricking it because they know on a lot of things, he is right.

PS - politicians lie, they all do. The clue is, their lips move.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                Ratings:
                +4,947
                The decrease in dependants of students follows a recent policy change for courses starting on or after 1 January 2024, where only researched-based postgraduate students are allowed to bring dependants (partners and children) to the UK. The number of sponsored study dependent visas granted in quarter one (January to March) of 2024 fell by 80%, compared to the same period in 2023, to 7,908. Over the same period, the number of main applicants granted a visa decreased by 22% to 37,451. Policy changes are one of a number of factors that may have impacted visa application volumes and it will be necessary to await the peak in student applications for the next academic year (which usually comes in August/September) before we can see the full effect of recent policy changes and any other impacts.

Covid is still a factor that has to be taken into account, it will probably be a couple of years before we fully see the effect of these new changes.

• Like Like x 1
                • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +92,123
                  I treat all politicians with the same distrust, even Corbin didn't get my back up as such he was just an idiot that had escaped from his special jacket, but I dont see the fixation regarding Farage, kind of suggests he might be coming out with a few truths that the lefties dont like.:scratch:
                  I'm not really a left or right person I just have what I think is right and what I think is wrong with things, so rarely agree entirely with any of them whole heartedly.

Sunak has shot his bolt and Starmer will not last a couple of years in my view, I think it will just be another version of the Tories swapping leaders, once the novelty wears off.

As to the others , they might as well go home as they dont stand a chance in our rigged democracy.

But we will see, its not worth speculating or getting upset over.

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                    Ratings:
                    +4,947
                    My understanding of the new policy change, is, you can bring your partner and or your child can be your dependants, other relatives including parents do not count as dependants.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +23,879
                      I thought that trump would never win, then I thought he'd quit as he got bored or confused. Then I thought someone would slot the incoherent imbecile but here he is, guilty as charged and still in the running.
                      So I won't be shocked if Starmer hangs around for his full term and completely oblivious to public opinion

• Like Like x 2
                      • Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
                        +1,994
                        If you are poor, I think it is very much worth getting upset about.
                        If you don't want a privatised NHS, the same.
                        If you want your children to have a fair start in life, the same.

I don't think it is those of us on the left, that are getting upset about Farage, it is those on the right, whose seats he will be taking.
                        I just dislike the man for ensuring that we left the EU, which imo is the worst decision this country has made in a generation.

• Agree Agree x 6
                        • pete

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +92,123
                          Trump and to some extent Farage are due to the total lack of anyone looking after the ordinary people, they are a product of a broken political system.

• Agree Agree x 4
                          • pete

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +92,123
                            You dont even know him, how can you dislike someone you dont know, it crazy and and not worth getting worked up about.

• Agree Agree x 1
                            Thread Status:
                            Not open for further replies.