Separate Moan Thread About The Election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Jun 22, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,884
    Enjoy your G&T

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,094
      You will need your duffle coat if its anything like here.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,469
        You wont need ice!

• Funny Funny x 3
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,994
          It might come down to a very simple question: who would you rather believe, Nigel Farage, or, Chanel 4 News? I know what I think, you may differ.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,884
            It may not be anywhere near that simple. It could be someone within Channel 4 - just one, has a contact somewhere and they in turn have a contact and decided to have a bit of a wheeze... it could also be genuinely that this absolute weapon has decided to support Reform and has then gobbed off in front of a camera. Either way, the guy has been instantly booted away from Reform, and I remain hopeful that he gets a visit from the police for his use of language.

Now, I would dearly love to trust C4 News - at one time, it as well as BBC were my go-to news sources.. but surely you can see that these organisations are not playing with a 'straight bat'?

• Like Like x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +51,884
              There is a bit of a chill to the air in the past hour or so - it seems odd given we were sweating buckets only a couple of days ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,994
                I don’t see it like you, @Fat Controller, couldn’t it just as easily be a genuine Reform canvasser, expressing views, which some of us believe to be the views of the Party, but are obviously not vote winners to a majority. I think Farage is protesting too much, he has been caught out.
                The BBC have commented on what happened, but, because unlike all other news sources, they will not reach a conclusion without 2 separate sources confirming the story. It is why BBC news often lags begins Chanel 4 and SKY.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +51,884
                I think you need to go back and re-read my post, particularly the sentence where I called the person involved an absolute weapon.... you will note when you do re-read it that I actually gave it possibilities from either view, where you seem fixated on it only being one possibility.

It would be very unfair to conflate the views and behaviours of an individual with that of an overall party, would it not?

As for Farage being caught out - he has instantly booted the guy out, so what more do you wish for? That is considerably more than Starmer did for his racist candidate.

As for my comments regarding the likes of C4 and BBC, I was being somewhat wider than this particular incident with my lack of trust - call me cynical if you will, but actions such as hand-picking and paying Question Time audience members does not suggest to me that they are playing with a straight bat.

• Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                  Last edited: Jun 28, 2024
                • Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,994
                  He booted the guy out, because he was caught, otherwise who knows?
                  I’m really not fixated, it is clear I loath Farage and his Party, but I think he is a very skilful operator, and I really don’t know the truth. I suspect many of us want to believe our truth, but I am not convinced we have the real truth.
                  Where Iwould disagree with you, is, I do think we can take that one persons view to represent the Party, because Farage is so determined to say it doesn’t.
                  Anyway not sure I am being coherent, I am sitting outside a pub on Loch Lomond, where I have been drinking for a few hours, on my way much further North.

• gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                  Ratings:
                  +4,947
                  So am I, we got married on the 27th June 2001, my wife and her son were granted a settlement visa's 3 months later in Bangkok.

If I was going through the process but with the new financial requirements that come in to force in April 2025, then I would of not been successful as I would not meet the financial requirements. The only way would of being going through the courts, which I would of needed an immigration lawyer.

I don't know the back ground of your partner or there place of birth, but if you were going the process where a visa is required, would you meet the financial requirements of £38,700?

The problem now compared to the past, the visa process was down to the British settled national proving they were capable of financing and accommodating your partner without the resource of public funds. But now your just a number, if you don't meet the financial requirement your not coming or it's going to cost in legal fee's.

So an example, British settled national A, has a salary of £40,000 and a mortgage/rent of £1000 pcm, do they get a visa if they prove the relationship is genuine, yes. as you have more than the £38,700 financial requirement
                  British settled national B, has a salary of £30,000 and is mortgage/rent free, do they get a visa, no. So, B is refused as they do not meet the financial requirements, yet you could say they have more disposable income than A, So they would need an immigration lawyer to prove that your more than capable of supporting the applicant.

I am an active member on another forum that helps people looking to move here and are already here with visa requirements, work and other rights. Due to these huge increases in the financial requirements, some are already worried they will not meet them, even though joint salary can be taken into the account.

There is 4 of us on my family side that have married foreign nationals. My uncle who is not one, is black, his father who he never knew was a Dr from Ghana. My uncle was a professional footballer, Kevin Keegan was his boot boy. In his professional career, which was cut short to a bad injury, he never had a black team mate or played against an opposing team that had a black player. When he played in the capital at QPR, the home fans chanted "Zulu" due to the abuse, he feigned injury for the next away game in the capital which was played at Millwall so not to be selected. To this day he still regrets feigning injury.

Belated Happy Birthday to Peter Foley, MBE - Football's Black Pioneers (footballs-black-pioneers.com)

• Like Like x 2
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +51,884
                    OK, well I hope you have enjoyed your drinks by Loch Lomond, hope your journeys ahead are safe and enjoyable.

Purely for the sake of balance then, as we are to take the actions of individuals in relation to their parties, this list must say a lot about Labour.

GRLSczrXAAAeL6W.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
                    • Funny Funny x 1
                    • Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,994
                      @gks, you may think this a ridiculous question, but it is not meant offensively, under which Party, would you be most likely to secure entry for a spouse, and if there are lots of available spouses in the country, should we allow them in.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024
                    • Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,994
                      Thank god we got rid of Corbyn, during his tenure, I gave up my membership of the party.
                      Jarad O,Mara is a source of great personal shame for me. I was involved in his appointment and actively campaigned for him. He was the first ever Labour MP in my constituency. What a terrible mistake we made. Luckily we got another Labour MP, and she is very good, and might, just might win again.
                      We have made plenty of mistakes, but I think we have owned up to them, which is a damn sight more than you can say for the Tories.

• Agree Agree x 4
                      • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
                        Ratings:
                        +3,524
                        I'd say all parties have their share of extremists ... and I really have no faith in the media. Bias is their stock-in-trade, not only in what they choose to report, but what they choose not to cover. Plus all the parties are trying to promote some things and gloss over others. Add those two together and we are getting a deliberately narrowed, skewed picture.

I have reached the stage where I can't take anything reported at face value. I always immediately wonder "Why that, whose agenda?".

• Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 2
                        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +92,094
                          Biden surely must be on drugs, may well be prescribed ones.
                          But of these two appearances we are seeing, the one with Trump , and a speech he made afterwards.

Which one would you guess is the real Biden..

Thread Status:
                        Not open for further replies.