Sharpening a hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by JWK, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
  2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Oh very nearly, It has that very thin attachment, and a thicker one. But thats very near.

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    A bit like a fine grade retractable butchers steel

4. Iceni

Iceni Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Most cheap hedgecutters are not designed to have the blades re-ground.

The blade life and machine life are probably similar - the brushes will probably wear out before long.

5. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I didn't manage to get to ALDI on Thursday, went on Friday but they were all sold. Next stop B&Q £33.
    Regarding the de-burring pen, I don't think it will work on the hardened steel blade of a hedgecutter, as it appears that the de-burring pen has a HSS blade. What is really needed is a "slip stone" of about 6 to 10mm diameter. These should be obtainable from Engineers Stores.

Edit: I went to ALDI's the following week and they had got them in so I bought one.

6. Labrador

Labrador Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've still got my grandfathers electric hedge cutter which I can remember him using when I was about 5 or 6 so it is over 50 years old. Made by Tarplane it is still in good working order. If it ever goes wrong no dealer will touch it as it is all metal, even down to a metal on/off toggle switch. It has blades on one side only and is quieter than any modern machine I've come across.

7. redfifi1717

redfifi1717 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Back at the start of this thread, someone mentioned that a hedge trimmer was used to cut a beech hedge ...I always thought that large leaved hedges such as a beech , were better cut with hand shears?? Is there a right and wrong for this or is it personal preference?? A hedge trimmer would certainly be quicker!

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Nope its a wives tale, try cutting a 500m laurel or beach hedge with shears lol.

A sharp hedge trimmer will cut it nicely and there are few cut leaves.

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    Blimey, theres no way we could cut our hedges by hand. Its amazing how quick they recover, within a couple of weeks they look like new, and you hardly notice any of the cut leaves. Cut them now and they only need cutting once a year.

10. Brind

Brind Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Google 'Diamond Sharpener', you'll find items like these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use the tools in the second picture. They're excellent for general sharpening. Being diamond, it works very quickly.

I too inherited my grandfather's headge trimmer. It's not very big, but they're heavy and made by Black & Decker (which is a surprise in itself that it's still working :D).

What this little hedge trimmer won't cut though, unreal!

When I started on my garden it was in a serious state. Two large cherry-plum trees had taken over and where they weren't, there were thick brambles. I was asked if I would fix a friends hedge trimmer as she had lopped the cable clean off. :D I abliged and once repaired tried them out on the bomb site that was my garden. It was a complete waste of time! Utterly useless. They were sharp I'm sure, but they were gutless and jammed on every other branch.

I lengthend the cable on my old Black & Decker from an old broken lawn mower and proceeded to cut the whole lot down without even the slightest grumble from the cutters.

They don't make 'em like they used to. :p

11. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    Thanks for the info Brind, found the ones you use on ebay, they are pretty cheap so I might be investing in some. Ta.