1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Short or Tall grasses? For what situations? Foliage ? Flowers?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Ned, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    @HarryS It was the colour of the leaves that took my eye then looking up how they flower well that did it for me...hubby was back up the garden centre the next day :heehee:...they should flower in black apparently like this pic off the net I found :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      I grow carex for its foliage. The flowers are sharply "sticky" and rough. Not particularly attractive either. I remove the flower stalks, simply pull them out ...prevents seeding too. The foliage looks much better without the flowers I think :)

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Right @Verdun here we go :snorky:.... been back to the nursery today and purchased another 2 Elijah blues...so when the weather finally picks up, 3 are being combined at either end of the drive and for the centre I brought 3 Stipa "Ponytails" only a fraction taller than the Elijah.

[​IMG]

You mentioned planting in between the Rocks..so I got 4 Carex "Prairie Fire" 2 to go together either side.

[​IMG]
        Opinion please :what:

• Like Like x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Pony tails will be taller than Elijah but very, very tactile. Excellent for movement too.
          Prairie Fire is the testacea I suggested earlier........yep, evergreen and quick growing to form nice olive/orange clumps. Will look excellent Gail.....good foliage colours all year round.
          Dont want you over filling your garden or spending your hubby's hard earned cash but another favourite for movement is carex Comans Bronze; moves like the surf, wider than tall and a foxy brown colour.:)
          Worth a mention I think.....all those grasses, sedges divide easily to give more plants :)

• Like Like x 2
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :)
            The carex Comans they had them there but Verdun no more, as my hubby will do anything for me regarding jobs and with the home but he dislikes gardening and I take care of the plants the best I can and my health's not terrific and when winter comes it's a nightmare here alone with leaves...the fencing stops a lot.

I've really appreciated your help along the way :yes: and can't thank you enough :)...just can't wait for the weather to stabilise itself so they can be put in...another job for the hubby :heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 1