Should Ched Evans be allowed back into football?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Jan 6, 2015.

?

Should Ched Evans be allowed back into football?

1. Yes he should

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. No he shouldn't

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    I don't think he should return. I understand that if a criminal has served their punishment they should be allowed to rehabilitate. BUT Ched Evans has never expressed any remorse towards the victim, never even mentions her by name. If he comes back to playing football, what example does that give young boys who look at these overpaid footballers as the ultimate role-models? That they can do whatever they want, get what ended up being a short sentence, then slide back onto that plinth? It makes a mockery of it all

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,984
      Sheffield United, the club he played for when he was convicted etc

• Informative Informative x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,076
        OK, I dont know much about this particular case, but I've never understood this part of the law, I just wonder how many innocent, yet convicted people, have eventually dropped any of idea proving their innocence, and admitted to something they didn't do, just to get parole etc.

Is it widely known who the woman concerned is in this case?
        Does anyone know the circumstances?

I also cant help wondering who is going to write the acceptable list of what jobs a convicted criminal is allowed to apply for once released:scratch:

We could end up with burglars becoming security advisers;):snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          We considered pulling this as the case is going to appeal, but seeing as Huffington post is still allowing comments we'll keep it open unless we hear that we shouldn't.

Please bear in mind that consent was given, and a test case has established that consent whilst under the influence is still consent.

The rape allegation was made after the girl had sobered up and regretted giving consent.

Unless they make it illegal to have sex after consuming any amount of alcohol then this verdict is leaving a hell of a lot of people on severely dodgy ground.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            You can only show remorse if you've commited a crime, as far as he's concerned she said yes, so he hadn't commmited a crime.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +91,663
            • lost_in_france

lost_in_france Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,138
              Rape victims get anonymity - he's not allowed to mention her by name

No, for the reason above. Although it has been put out on some social media sites so it is known by some

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +23,091
                So having read that it would seem that a hotel room was booked so that they could find a suitably legless female to have sex with. The room was not needed/used as accommodation. They were "hunting" separately to increase opportunity?

So forgetting about the legal status of this case, from a moral point of view as a club chairman I would say this guy is not what we want at this club.

And before any of the ladies say anything, this is not the way that the typical male mind works.

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +4,951
                  Totally agree.

I agree, most men I hope would have more integrity where 'drunk' women are concerned.

• Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,984
                  For crimes such as rape I don't believe he should swan back into such a privileged position.

It's been well-documented who she is, how it happened. But she's the one being punished. She thought she was going back with one guy, yes she was drunk but Evans ended up with her after his friend

• Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,984
                    Pretty much, yes :(

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +3,631
                    I cant vote on tapatalk

But i think yes he should be allowed his career back

The law has done its job whether we agree with the final decision or not. He has served his time

Just because he is not showing remorse doesnt mean hes not feeling it and wont put himself in that situation again and ever do it again

Whatever happened none of us will know because we weren't there in the first place and we also were not there in court so don't know all the details

I think any criminal who has served their sentence should be able to carry on with their lives and so what job they wish unless for example its working with children for sex offenders or say working in a bank for say theft or money laundering etc

• Like Like x 1
                    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                      +19,596
                      Personally I find the whole thing very disturbing. But not for the reasons the vocal masses might think.

First of all, I should point out, I was not there. I can only form my opinion based on the same potentially biased media reports as everyone else. That said, here is my take on the situation.

Lets say I get steaming drunk, and then beat the living daylights out of someone. Then I get caught. People would be outraged if I walked away completely free, after a judge ruled that I was too drunk to mean what I did.

Lets say that I got steaming drunk, and then in my drunken state, agreed to have sex with a woman other than my wife. I doubt very much that my wife would accept that I hadn't been unfaithful to her, because I'd got so drunk that maybe I didn't realise what I was doing.

These examples are of course entirely different situations. The point I'm making so far is that in law, and in general principle, we don't generally let whether someone was drunk or not absolve someone of any responsibility.

From what I understand of this story, a young woman of legal age of consent, is said to have agreed to sexual contact with the accused. Furthermore, if I understand the reports correctly, she turned it into a rape claim on the basis that she was too drunk to give consent. Should I get in my car while full of beer, and then say afterwards that I've changed my mind about drink driving, and I can, because when I decided to drink and drive I was drunk and therefore not of sound mind?

And what precedent does this set? Will wedding receptions now have to be teetotal affairs from now on? Surely if the new bride has a swig or two of sparkling white beforer going off to consummate her vows, could she now change her mind and accuse her new husband of raping her?

Now don't get me wrong. I am not entirely defending the accused. I don't know him. He might be a right creep. If he is anything like most other males of his age (including myself when I was his age) he will of course have been keen to win the favours of the young ladies. Equally I'm not entirely slating his accuser. Women, everybody, has the right to go out without being harassed in any way or pressured (or forced) into doing anything they don't want to do. But it takes two to tango as they say. The story goes that she consented but was later deemed unfit to give consent. You can't undo what is done. IF it is true that she consented, then it surely can't be one thing (sex between consenting adults) one minute, and then something else (rape) after the event.

I don't worry about this for me. I'm passed that stage of my life. I really worry for my two sons though. When I was a young man, you carried a pack of condoms just in case you got lucky. When my lads get to going out age, I'm going to have to train them to carry condoms, a pen, a spare pen in case the first pen runs out while his potential new partner is filling out the written consent form in triplicate, a breathylser kit, drug testing kits, and a set of MENSA tests just to check that she is of sound mind, and two independent witnesses to objectively observe and record the proceedings.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
                        +12,352
                        I saw this post and thought NNNNNNOOOO .

And my reasons why , as people end up arguing most of the time or upsetting others intentional or not.
                        And the length off time I have been on this Forum some you never see again.

I love this forum, as with my gardening a bit of escapism from the horrors of the World and you can have a natter about gardening and other interesting hobbies and stuff that everyday people get up to and for some not all, make new friends in the process.

I dont have a yes or no or maybe

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +92,076
                          Ched, a strange name.
                          Didn't he play guitar.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                          Thread Status:
                          Not open for further replies.