1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your houseplants in bloom now 2017

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by longk, Mar 7, 2017.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,714
    Hi Gail, looks like a yucca, did you light the fire around september time?:biggrin:

You might have overdone the milk, or more likely dry atmosphere, same would go for the bonsai, just as long as you were not overwatering.
    I think most house plants, apart from a very few like good light and in winter I often expose mine to full sun, when available,at that time of the year.

Not sure about the Bonsai but there is a lot of those so called bonsai plants around, mainly plants that wont tolerate frost that have been stuck in tiny bowls. Usually some tropical plant that forms massive roots very quickly. They call them "indoor" bonsai.:smile:
    Are you sure your not overdoing it regards the cut flowers, the stuff they provide and aspirin?
    Not something I know much about.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      [​IMG]
      I bought my wife one of these for Christmas. I thought it could stand where the Xmas tree is in the spot next to the patio doors. On boxing day we discovered one of our cats nibbling on it. I looked it up only to discover its not pet friendly. Its now in the front room until we decide what to do with it. Houseplants that aren't pet friendly seems a bit pointless. Oh well.

:doh:

G.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,714
        Jack, I dont think many house plants are pet friendly, if they want to eat them.:biggrin:
        I didn't think yucca was poisonous.

Anything with white sap is usually pretty bad.
        And never buy a Dieffenbachia, if anything might want to try eating it.

• Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,414
        @pete apparantly Yucca will in likelihood induce diarrhea and vomitting. It would potentially be bad for grazing animals but the odd nibble shouldn't be too bad. I have no idea why she nibbled it. She has never nibbled anything before. To make matters more complicated, she is the housebound cat. If the worst came to the worst, that would be a lot of cleaning up. Bless her.

:cat-kittyandsmiley:

G.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
          +7,636
          Hi @Gail_68 , sorry for shamelessly jumping in here...:redface:

That's a Dracaena, they are lovely plants but I think Pete was right that they might have died because the conditions over the winter were too dry and perhaps warm and dark as well. Most houseplants respect seasons and have a dormant period, and most prefer lighter and cooler place with less watering during that time.

It is quite difficult to find a spot with too much light inside a room, so it's often better to have plants as near a window as possible. :SUNsmile: Only if they show obvious scorch marks, move them further away. A humble misting bottle is good aid for many.

Here are my favourite totally indestructible plants which might not have the jazzy look of many fashionable ones, but bring the lovely greenness and life in the house.

Spider plant (Chlorophytum), when mistreated will produce a lot of babies in trailing stems, but if it's happy it will just get bushy. Personally I prefer the babies :)

Wandering jew plant (Tradescantia), I bought a pack of 3 varieties from Amazon recently for £1.99, they have been growing steadily even now during the darkest months :love30:

Pothos (Epipremnum) can trail or climb and looks very arty when the stems are attached to a wall so that it climbs around all the way to the ceiling.

Ivy, there are beautiful variegated ones as well but nip some cuttings of the garden type in the spring and you'll have a very sturdy houseplant for free.
          Yucca, when it's happy it will grow top heavy but it has a nice 70's retro feel :snorky:

All of them will grow well and are easy to propagate which adds to the fun.

Obviously succulents can survive almost anything, but if they are not happy they will just sit there doing nothing which is boring.

Grouping plants together will help to create a micro climate of better humidity, and looks great.

Your roses are beautiful, and having them lasting over a week is quite an achievement! I will steal you aspirin tip if I may :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            @pete No the rads went on instead :snorky: but we like our windows open for circulation also, I did the milking once a week and the watering twice.

The Bonsai I was talking about, is what you've just stated a small pot one...i'll keep to my false plants, even they get watered monthly:heehee: dust mate :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              @Selleri Thanks for all the advice and my Dracaena's was a medium size but they was nearly going for the ceiling in those months and the out spread of the leaves was beautiful I had them from IKea £40 each and they was very well developed, in the end when they was dying off I throwed them away...the amount of extra plants I've fetched out the garden and gave them to neighbours, I just gave one neighbour a good shooting off one of these as it took off.:) plus I've got another shooting through on one in the front garden plus shooting off my bottle brush stems.

SDC13174.JPG

• Like Like x 1
              • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                Ratings:
                +10,541
                did we get a 2018 thread?

• Like Like x 1
                • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hello @redstar Did you enjoy your week and also your fishing after? :)

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                  Ratings:
                  +10,541
                  I am guessing @Gail_68 , this question, in the houseplant thread pertains to my holiday in Key West. We are going in May.

• Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    I am sorry @redstar I know you mentioned searching through things brought up from the sea, then going fishing...I've totally got it wrong mate:sad: as I know there your hobbies :dbgrtmb:

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                    Ratings:
                    +10,541
                    No problem @Gail_68 , just could be a little confusion for others as they were expecting discussions about house plants. We go in May to Key West to search, fish and have fun. So 3 more months.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      @redstar i'll ask in march and thanks mate :dbgrtmb:

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                      Ratings:
                      +10,541