Sick Camelia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Freddy, Apr 8, 2012.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    That has got to be chlorosis.:scratch:

All the other plants around it look fine.

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593

if it's chorosis, try this (Advanced Nutrients Revive) ..... costs £20 per litre and can be bought off ebay or from your local hydroponic stores

http://www.advancednutrients.com/hydroponics/products/revive/revive_product_information.php

powerfull stuff .... you mix 4ml per litre of water, and apply it by foliar spray (can also be used as a drench)

I bought a litre to try sort a Chamaerops Humilis palm that got whacked with the 2 nights of -18 degreec C we had in cambridge during winter

but then saying that, £20 could get you a healthy new one at a garden centre

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I'd just give it a dose of sequestrene , and wait a couple of months, applying water should the soil get dry.
    Personally I've never found foliar feeds etc. to work on plant that have shiny /waxy leaves, they just dont absorb the stuff that well.
    As for Palms, nar.
    They are mostly designed to live in hostile climates regarding water loss.
    Surely foliar feed just runs off.

4. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hiya Pete.

I was kinda thinking along the same lines, that any foliar feed would just run off. In any case, I'm inclined to think (rightly or wrongly) that a foliar feed would only be a temporary fix. Ok, thanks all for the input, I'll give it some thought:)

5. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I've had good results with foliar feeding on my Rhododendrons but must admit with Camellias I've given it as an occasional treat rather than to treat any problems.

Regular feeding with a food especially designed for ericaceous plants (such as Miracle Gro ericaceous fertiliser, or Seaweed with sequestered iron) should solve the problem.

If it were mine, I'd be inclined to dig it out and grow it in a large pot or else apply a mulch of ericaceous compost mixed with Miracle gro slow release pellets and repeat every spring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      Hi Freddy I know you say you have acidic soil, but I would be inclined to give it a good dose of liquid plant food specifically for ericacious plants and then give it a good mulch of acidic material if you can get some; pine needles would be my choice if you can get them; I've used them in the past on Rhoddy's and Camelias and they have excellent results.....Leafmould made up of mainly oak leaves would also be usable...:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
      • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        I have only recently started using foliar feeds and can say that I have had very good results so far .... everything that I have used it on, is healthy and growing well ...

The one that I use at present is called Iguana Juice and is made by a company called Advanced Nutrients (can be bought off ebay or from your nearest hyroponic store) .... it is a seaweed/fish mix with lots of extras and is like a 'tonic' for your plants .... It also has Yucca extract which makes the spray stick to the leaves

http://www.advancednutrients.com/hydroponics/products/iguana_juice/iguana_juice_science.php

consists of:
        Fish meal, Yucca extract, Kelp meal, Alfalfa extract, Brewers yeast, Fulvic acid, earthworm castings, volcanic ash, High Phosperous bat guano, High Nitrogen bat Guano, Krill meal and humic acid
        ... and is 100% organic and has 76 different minerals

costs approx £20 per litre, however, it is diluted by 4ml to 1 litre of water (so, for £20, you get 250 litres of really good liquid fertilizer which can be used as a foliar spray or soil drench, and as a foliar feed, it goes a very long way)

others who are using this product are also very happy

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
        +1,663
        Thanks guys.
        I have a Camillia that has yellowing leaves in my front garden.
        It went that way after the first year and has been like that for a couple of years. It flowers less than, and a month or so later than, a similar plant in my neighbours garden.
        I'd put it down to poor light (facing the house - 10' away and backed against a 2.5' wall)
        I'm going to give the Sequestrene a go now. I was going to move it, but lets give it another chance.:thumbsup:

• Prudence Potts

Prudence Potts Gardener

Ratings:
        +37
        I've got several lovely camellias both in a purpose built bed and in pots. At the end of last year one in a pot was looking decidedly unwell, so it was fed and watered. I grew it from a small plant from (Safeways) Morrisons and the label showed 2003. Over the winter it died completely - brown and gone. We knocked it out of the pot to see if there was any damage from vine weevil - no sign of anything. Just a mass of root. I've got another one now, also in a pot which is showing signs of going the same way. It's got buds so it was alive last autumn. I'm just hoping that the big ones don't succumb now. From what I can find there doesn't seem to be any specific disease that might affect camellias. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has problems.

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,517
        Hiya folks, thanks for all the input, appreciated :blue thumb:
        There have been different solutions/suggestions put forward, so I've had to go with my 'gut instinct'
        Decision made:old:

I've today ordered some sequestrene from a forest in Brazil:WINK1: As it happens, I also have a bag of Ericaceous compost going begging, so I'm gonna use that as a top dressing. Well, that's Plan 'A':)

Cheers...Freddy

• Like Like x 3
        • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
          Ratings:
          +7,341
          Glad to see Freddy's Avatar back, just needs the sig now a cup o tea n a cake :-)

Please

Jack McH

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,517
        • Freddy

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,517
          Hi chums.
          Well, it's been around 6 weeks since I added the sequestrene, and although nothing has really changed, I notice that there is new growth which LOOKS quite healthy, not a deep green, but healthy looking. Leave it and see what happens?

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,517
        • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
          Ratings:
          +31,832
          There is only so much time we should give sickies I think Freddy. Some specimens naturally suffer with yellow leaves. I have one and I'm beginning to think of chucking it. I have never seen a sick Camellia "Donation"- they always seem healthy and thrive.
          That's just how I feel about sickly Camellias,