Silent Roar

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Harmony Arb, May 16, 2008.

1. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    The other neibours who im good freinds with put the hose on tuffty (with my blessing) if they catch him digging, the result is he only uses the unnplesant neibours garden or the cat toilet / sandbox im my garden!!!

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    If anyone wants to give mine a squirt they can be my guest, they can do what they like in ,y garden its up to me tp pick up after them, but I don`t expect anyone else to tolerate it, if someone hurts them I wont tolerate that, and they get whats coming to them.

3. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    we too seem to be plagues by nighbours cats using our garden as a giant litter tray.
    Himself has taken to cutting bamboo stick to about 12" long and sticking them in the flower beds....specially where the furry wonders keep pooing and it seems to be keeping them off.

I don't know how long it will work but right now it seems to be working.
    We have used various cat offs and the citronella scented pellets...they all seem to work for a few days and them back to square one.

I have been toying with the idea of buying one of those sonic cat repellents....if I think of the money I have spent getting all those pelletsd and powers, I must have paid for this device 10 times over by now.
    A friend uses it and swears by it, says it keeps cats out of her garden altogether.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I put netting down on my veg beds on newly sown plants to stop birds eating them and cats pooing on them, but there seems to be one cat that it doesn't put off, at least the poo dries on top on the netting so easy to remove :rolleyes:

5. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I've got a few big pyracantha shrubs and cut the dead twigs from them to lay across vulnerable areas of bare earth. The spines are fearful - Mother Nature's own razor wire! Seems to be quite effective.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I saw a plant at the garden centre yesterday that said it kept cats and foxes away-I cant remember the name of it but it was succulent and it smelled like a herb.

7. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean the Coleus Canina?
    http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/product/1593/1

It might keep them out or it might just make them move a few feet away, haven't tried it and I don't know anyone who has either.

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Katherna-yeah thats the one. I never tried it myself either, but I have Toni who doesn`t let cat or squirrel in the garden, and should there be a cat thats is too big for her to take on I go out and help her with my megasoaker. One particularly cocky one just stood there looking at me, until he got a shot of water-haven`t seen hide nor hair of him since.

(I had a bit of a Ripley moment going on in my imagination-"Get away from her you bi7ch!" bang bang bang LOL)

9. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The best way to keep the neighbour cats out of the garden is have a cat of your own. They are territorial and defend their own patch. Then you will have one cat poop to deal with instead of all the neighbourhood's . Sterilized females don't pee around like toms.

I have two pussies and no problems. They go poo by the compost heap, how neat is that. SOmetimes they do their business in freshly dug beds, if I have very small plants there I plant twiggy sticks so they have no space for turning around and that's it.

10. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I have that in my garden and the poxy (!!!!) cat sat and did it's business right next to it so NO...it does not work for me.

the only thing that seems to work at the moment is lots of bamboo sticks in the flower beds, specially where there is freshly bug soil.

I'm still toying with the idea of buying the sonic cat scarer though unless someone on here has got one and can let me know if it is any good or not.