Silly money Lottery & Premium Bond Prizes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Phil A, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +32,996
    No i don't do any lottery, i get my money fair and square

2. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    I've never really grasped the thinking behind the lottery winnings. I don't do the lottery, but I was behind someone in a news agents sometime back who had come in to claim his winnings having got 5 numbers. By memory he left with about £100.00 and complete disapointment. I must admit that I was a bit stunned by the poor amount. Surely just getting 3 numbers is hard enough, so why not raise the 3 number win to say £100.00 and lower the jackpot.
    I'm sure that this would make more people buy tickets, then even I being a tight git may even buy the odd ticket. No one needs a silly money jackpot.

I do feel sorry for those that seem to rely on hope of hitting the jackpot etc. Scratch cards are bad for this. Again I have seen people buy perhaps ten cards, scratch them off there and then with a win of say £5.00 and then buy more tickets seemingly thinking that they are ahead.
    I'd hate to be like that, and don't like seeing others like it. Each to their own, but gambling is bad news. If you can't afford to loose it, don't do it. This is the sad thing though, it is so often the needy that do it.

Thinking about this further (it's the beer) I have worked with people who have talked about the lottery and how they would do this or do that, then they ask me what car I'd buy if I were to win it, and reply is simple. I'm happy with our ten year old Volvo, it does everything that we need, so why would I need to change it. The reply never seems to go down very well and kills the conversation.

• Like Like x 4
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      My solution is:

Lottery 1st Tier max Prize is, say, £1,000,000.

Lottery is based on the current Euro Millions lottery draw system - so that it rolls over a lot.

When (**WHEN**) there is a winner the 1st Prize is split between the 1st level winners (i.e. that got all the numbers). They get a maximum of £1,000,000 each.

If there is any money left over that is split amongst the 2nd level winners. They get a max of, say, £100,000 each. Again, if any money left over that is added to the "pot" for 3rd level winners, and they get say £10,000 each

This way when there is a Prize Fund of £140,000,000 just as many people, as now, will buy tickets, but the benefit will be spreadh over far more people (but only when there is a winner, and no roll over)

At other times the 2nd tier downwards prizes will be the same as now (and usually less than the Max amounts compared to when there is a big win).

Copyright me - unless they give me the last winning ticket BEFORE they introduce this system :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Going back a few years one of my work mates saw and over heard a big lottery winner (20 plus million) in one of our supermarkets looking at a beef joint..."i'm not paying that"...it just goes to show old habits die hard......the 'workmate' was slating them:rolleyespink: but if you've always been used to having to be 'carefull' i can understand it what a massive change this must have been for them...thier family is in tatters...might have happened anyway but my thinking is...it hasn't helped...:dunno:......

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Tonights numbers will be,

14, 18, 19, 25, 46 & 49.

But bear in mind when I predicted them last week I only got 2 right:snork:

• Like Like x 1
        • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
          Ratings:
          +2,250
          I wouldn't mind winning enough so that it was livable and have a nice Hol now and then. Maybe have a house built with decent size rooms, nothing huge! 3 bedrooms, downstairs loo, nice kitchen, decent manageable size garden. Car wise I'd like. BMW convertible and something a bit more practical for every day use. Maybe have enough space to where I could grow some plants te sell.

• Like Like x 1