Simplify Gardening - Close to perfect tools?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AKdaBAOUS, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    I was referring to petrol driven trimmers. A good one is a lot easier to use than any battery/ mains one. IMHO, of course. I have a stretch of Siberian Pea hedge. I'll guarantee any battery trimmer will need repairing before the first battery is discharged. Which is another problem...:rolleyespink:

Looking through some of the other posts...balance is a matter of getting the weight in the correct place or places, not necessarily near the handle.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,455
      I have two hedge cutters.

One is a 24" blade electric which is not too heavy (although large) and is quite easy to use. It's good for most work that doesn't require stretching and doesn't need any form of angled use for most things within reach. I've had it for 30 years with no problems. :blue thumb:

The other is also electric, extendable with an 18" blade and the head can be moved to different angles (not self-adjusting). This extends to about 8ft. It's good for cutting across the top edge of high hedges (with the blade angled) and for shaping my tall conifers. It also works well across the top of wide hedges. It does have a disadvantage for me. :sad:

Before I bought it I tried using a petrol driven professional one (belongs to a professional gardener friend) but I found it too heavy and cumbersome, even with the shoulder straps. The balance was good, using the handle that extended at right angles to the main pole but I'm no longer able to sustain continuous use because of the weight.

My electric one is much lighter, doesn't have a hand grip to the side but has a grip further along the pole. The problem is the electric motor. It has the blades attached to it. This may not seem a problem - and definitely isn't one when using it at normal length - but when the pole is extended the light weight motor is now at the end of the pole. The leverage of having it that far away from my grip becomes quite considerable after a while and turns a light weight into a heavy one. Whilst it's being used vertically it's no problem as the direction of force of the weight is still straight down to the hand grips, but when being used at an angle (shaping tops of trees or cutting across wide hedges) the momentum force is hard to cope with. A younger, fitter person would not find it so much trouble. :old:

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        I did a bit of digging into weights. Using the same manufacturers products, as examples.

Mains powered: 50cm blade, 650w power: 4.1kg (without power cable, obviously).

Petrol powered, 50cm blade, 650w power: 4.3 kg, fully fuelled

Battery powered: 4.4kg.

I admit to being surprised at these, they are not what I expected.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,889
          1.5 kg off those weights would be great Sandy but I don't suppose that will ever happen. :doh::)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            I fully agree, even if it is easily possible. I would hazard a guess that prices would be lower also. Of course, the cynic in me says that would create less profit for the manufacturers. The real reason they would never do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,889
              I don't think there are any materials that would be light enough in weight and strong enough to even entertain reducing by that amount.

• Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
              Without wishing to sound arrogant, its nothing more than a D&D Engineering challenge. I even have a rough idea how it could be done. Then again, I would! :snork:

• Like Like x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +53,889
                Okay then Sandy, a challenge! How would you put something like this together? :) Also, may I ask what a D&D engineer is please?

• Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                Sheal, D&D stands for Design and Development. Sometimes the term R&D (Research and Development) is used. Its what I was doing until retirement.

• Like Like x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                  +19,596
                  Lighter weight without compromising tensile strength is usually only achieved with more expensive materials.

Also, in the case of petrol power, there is the engine to consider. Ever stricter noise and emissions regulations mean the days of the relatively low cost, light weight, high powered engine are numbered. In terms of power to weight ratio, you can't get much better than a screamy little oil burning smoke oozing 2 stroke with a straight through, unbaffled exhaust. Light, powerful, but noisy and stinky and therefore practically outlawed. They even put 4 stroke engines with electronic ignition in little push along mowers now. It's a travesty.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +122,455
                  Don't forget they even have robot mowers now. I've seen them in action and they do quite a good job - but you have to make your garden to fit how it works.

Now that's a good idea for a new hedge trimmer! :ideaIPB: A robot trimmer that does it all for you. Should be easy enough :whistle: :heehee:. Just combine it with a drone.

There you are, all the hard, genius, work done, just pass it on to the workers to put it all together. More fame and fortune for Shiney :hapydancsmil:. I knew that having Heath Robinson and Rube Goldberg as ancestors would come in handy :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 3