Slow and steady - Beginner :-)

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by PJA190, Jan 23, 2022.

1. PJA190

PJA190 Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    So, interestingly, the in-laws mentioned the same thing about the shade. - For me, being in the shade is a positive. I have some chairs that face the sun in the evening. I never use them, as its a sun trap. So the thought of having a simple chair, or table for a drink in the evening when it's a bit cooler does appeal.

I've taken some rough measurements. It'll be approx 330cm in length and 140cm in width. Looking at 'Wickes' 'B&Q' - There are some decking boards at 300cm - So, I can add a simple boarder to do the least amount of cuts. I need to work on the number of posts in the ground I need for foundations. I need 4 - But I'll probably add an additional x2 near the middle as well. I'll draw it up this weekend in hope of having a shopping list ready for next weekend! :-)

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,198
    I'm the same - I don't like a lot of sun, and I rarely sit in the garden in the evening anyway, so whatever you do with a space - it's always a matter of what suits your own needs. :smile:
    The fewer the amount of cuts you have to make, the better. Definitely a set of posts in the middle, and heavier timber for the framework which will take the decking itself. I'd go to a good timber merchant for the wood if you can, but if there isn't one, then the DIY stores are ok. You may have to replace it at a later stage though, depending on how well it stands up to weather and usage etc.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
      Ratings:
      +562
      I agree. We have several seats around the garden and usually we move around them to follow the shade rather than the sun. We only sit in the full sun when it’s fairly weak and feels like a luxury such as early Spring or late Autumn/winter

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • PJA190

PJA190 Gardener

Ratings:
        +36
        The plan... (Chairs not to scale :))

Attached Files:

• Scotmac

Scotmac Gardener

Ratings:
        +41
        I think your seating area looks lovely, and is well positioned around the tree. Just a point to ponder - would you want to leave the sides open? I have fairly recently inherited an area of decking which is open round the sides and is full of weeds, right underneath where it is impossible to reach. They are also growing through the decking. If you want to leave it open, I’d maybe suggest planting round it to make it harder for garden detritus, leaves etc to blow under it and create some great compost for weeds! I think you’d mentioned flowers in that area anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • PJA190

PJA190 Gardener

Ratings:
          +36
          Turns out the deck was easy to ... Dismiss...

Finally go round to doing some trail holes for the subframe posts.

First trial hole. Tree roots.
          Second trial hole. Tree roots.
          Third trial hole. You guessed it.

Now I need to solve an issue of. Its bare soil (being used as a cat loo )

What to do. Again, it's so uneven. I was thinking the easiest option would be to great a 'raised bed? - one timber high. Back fill with all the stone I originally moved. Then some weed membrane. Flatten it as much as possible. And the stone round the tree.

Frustrating..

• DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,444
          Slabs in amongst gravel or slate, size and position according to where you want table and chairs? Hopefully the slabs can be even for the furniture.

• Like Like x 1
          • PJA190

PJA190 Gardener

Ratings:
            +36
            So, in the theme of the only thing that is doing the thing is doing the thing...
            I got doing some of the thing.

1. I bought some slab/stepping stones. I have a 3month year old baby. So I want to create a little garden area. So the plan is..

I'm going to create a little path. I've bought some paving sand. I'll dig out the soil, put some sand down/tamp and then stepping stones. I'll surround with some stones.

I need to buy a couple more stepping stones and then I need to buy some stones for the footpath boarder (basically splitting the area into two)

2. I've cleared some old stones/missing and laid down some fresh weed membrane, and I'll put some fresh stone down.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2