Slow start up.

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by pete, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Slow start up can be a result of many things ..clearing temporary internet files and cookies can help; the ATF cleaner is a very useful little utility for doing this ....

http://www.majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html

Disk de- fragmentation is also another task that should be done fairly regularly: Start, Accessories, System Tools .......you can then have your system analysed and it will advise if you need to de-fragment.
    OR ...
    It could be you haven't enough RAM.
    OR
    Finally, and this is something I have recently carried out, removing and re-installing all peripherals ie printer, web cam, scanner, etc. If you remove all those, then only have your mouse, screen and keyboard installed, commence with each peripheral again one by one. Closing down your computer after each new install. If it suddenly becomes sluggish after one of these re-installations, it could be your drivers for that particular piece of hardware needs updating.
    As I say I have just done this and the difference is incredible.

If you do the above and you still don't have any improvement it could well be you have a virus lurking in the depths.

hth ....

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    Thanks ML,I think I've found my problem, it was the BBC I player coming in on start up. [​IMG]

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Pete, you could always try plugging it in. [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I also have had delays in start up but just thought I had to live with it.

Then I helped a friend in US to try out a new remote service gizmo he is trying. During his control of my pc he commented that I 'only' had 18mb of RAM. He gave me a link to check it out and get a recommendation for upgrade. As a result I have obtained 2x 1 GB RAM which someone is going to install for me tomorrow.