slugs preventive war

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by gardenlearner, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lol I'm over run with both slugs and snails!:flag:When it gets warmer Bob and I will start our nightly hunts just to keep the little devils in check.Hel.xxx.

2. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    David is liquid slug killer safe for pets? My dog is always digging in my garden, I daren't put down pellets as he eats anything!

Last year I just went out and collected them all the time in the evening but there are still millions and it is rather labourious. I have tried organic pellets, slug gravel etc but they have all been a waste of time.

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Whilst I have actually seen snails chomping away without a care in the world, I do understand Paulstris` point. There are lots of garden critters that scoff the plants-at the moment I can`t look at a spot to weed without coming across rather fat and healthy green caterpillars, and rather suspiciously the plants surrounding them look like they have been snacked on.

I just hope my plan of balance and harmony works out and they can all be kept down to an acceptable level, and besides snails are pretty cute really.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I've recommenced waging war on them as the delphiniums are reappearing and I have lots of new foxgloves that I'd rather not lose. Been out sprinkling the hen's grit (crushed oyster shells) and will bake the eggshells then crush and apply.

Going to try the beer trap method as well for the first time. Shocking waste of beer though!

5. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Not one single slug or snail spotted on my little patch for several years.
    I believe all down to our resident pond / frog population....:gnthb: