1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

small pot plants for grave containers

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by rosielee, Aug 29, 2014.

1. rosielee

rosielee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All

Can anyone recommend suitable very small pot plants for small zinc containers (urns) on a grave. They are the type which have a lid with holes for putting flowers into and then the urns sit in the holes which are cut into the gravestone. We have been putting cut flowers in them for a long time now but cant visit all the time. The flowers dont last very long either and are expensive to replace every week.
    I thought if we could buy some small plant pots to sit inside the urns, and then put a very small flowering plant in the pots then this would be a more practical, longer lasting solution. I'm looking for ideas for small plants for all seasons as we could change them to suit. I would prefer plants with more flowers than leaves and some that do not trail as I think this would make the grave look untidy. Any advice much appreciated.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,044
    Difficult to come up with much that wont need watering in summer.
    You could try a few house leeks, they survive for years on nothing, dont mind missing out on watering, and in fact colour up better when a bit dry.

3. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    Im guessing alpines might be an option they live on rocky surfaces so dont need massive root system and survive weather extremes generally but will still need caring for when its really hot and dry

4. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I usually pot up small pots of miniature Daffs,Irises and snow drops for early in the year then use small pots of Lavender and Nepeta during the summer on graves we don't get to visit as often:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      The problem that I see is that the urn will not drain. If we get prolonged periods of wet weather it could cause root rot. So I doubt that anything could be relied upon - it will be at the mercy of the weather.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,191
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          That can be a problem,it's better to remove the urns and use a small plant pot instead and place a stone or two in the hole to raise it slightly to save it sitting in any standing water.The gaps for the pots are only small but still big enough to give a little show of colour for times when you can't get there as often:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
            Ratings:
            +14,125
            Hi I use alpines, euphorbias (small ones) aubrietia, lavender and sempervivums..
            They will all need drainage in the winter though or they will rot away.. I just use pots in winter and use the metal vases to stand them in in the summer for watering purpose.. Hope that helps..

• Informative Informative x 1
            • rosielee

Ratings:
              +1
              Hi Everyone
              Theres some good tips and ideas here which I will probably follow up. I'm su

• rosielee

Ratings:
              +1
              Hi Everyone
              Theres some good tips and ideas here which I will probably follow up. I'm sure using plants will be far easier than using cut flowers. It takes so long to cut the stems and trim the leaves and push them in the holes especially in the winter when its freezing! Many thanks to you all.

• Like Like x 1