1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Smart meters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Loofah, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,833
    It's a sales incentive to peddle the smart meters. I think the meters are a requirement or target from government (could be wrong there) so I expect they'll be everywhere by some point. I changed suppliers after having the meters fitted and the new supplier don't go in for it so they just look nice in the cupboard now! The doodad that displays usage got binned

• Like Like x 2
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,901
      Good morning I learnt a long time ago(when cars had solid tyres)that if anyone keeps telling me that' something is beneficial to me,then it never is:whistle: why do they call them smart meters,smart phones ,I thought that meant wearing a suit:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,523
        That's why I don't have a suit, a smart phone or a smart meter. :blue thumb: I don't 'do' smart! For me, smart went out at the turn of the century, when I retired, and has never come back. :old: :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,901
          Hello @shiney would that be the 20th or 21rst century my friend :whistle::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,616
            We had smart meters forced on us.

The cheapest "Off Peak" - lowest rates - year round are charged between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. and on weekends and statutory holidays.

Then there is "mid peak"- higher price than "off peak".
            Then there is "on peak" rates- the most expensive.

On and Mid change time slots depending on the season. These time frames change when the clocks do.

Winter - the rates for the morning 7 through to 11 a.m. are "On Peak" prices - just when you need the central heating fan on your gas fired furnace to run the most. After 11: a.m. to 5 p.m. it is "Mid Peak"pricing. Then between 5-7 p.m. it is On Peak pricing again - when people want to cook a hot supper

Summer - the rates for 7-11 a.m. are mid peak. Then from 11 through to 5 p.m. they are high rates because that is when people might need their air conditioning or to run fans for some relief from the heat. 5-7 p.m. are mid rate - a lot less cooking of hot meals going on this time of year so they pretend to be doing us a favour.

Three years ago our On peak rate was what our Off peak rate is now. They give you a break for a bit and then start ratcheting up the rates on each level.

I work out of the house and have managed to shift 75% of my electric use to off peak times but I can time shift my usage fairly well because I don't have kids at home to feed hot meals to. I have only used my clothes dryer once since 2013. When all of this nonsense started I cut down, shifted, everything humanly possible and my bill is still progressively higher. All of my greenhouse and outdoor usage is strictly from my solar panels. So no play stuff runs off the grid.

It is NOT about reducing use. It is p
            unishing young working families with kids - people who have no choice but to cook supper at a reasonable hour. Or making a nice hot breakfast for the kids on a cold winter morning before sending them off to school, a costly undertaking.

It is about forcing seniors to sit in the dark during the day so that industry can eat all the power they want without stressing the power grid.

It is about paying ridiculously high salaries to the CEO's instead of having to maintain/expand the grid to accommodate our growing population. We call our CEO here in this province - "the 6 million dollar man". He makes that, plus bonuses every year.
            I feel your pain.

This is not a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Friendly Friendly x 3
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +46,193
              Blimey Lori that is terribly complicated and grossly unfair.

• Agree Agree x 4
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                Ratings:
                +7,625
                The energy supplier we have just switched to have some interesting wording in their standard conditions - in a nut shell - we cannot demand a smart meter and they will not supply one until such time as they believe that there is benefit to their customers - a refreshing change.

The cheap tariffs we were offered were only available to non smart meter customers - so if you already have a smart meter - your tariff is paying for this. I thought they were 'free' - tongue firmly in cheek ;)

• Like Like x 1
                  Last edited: May 15, 2018
                • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +86,075
                  I think if you are "Smart" you will tell the energy companies where to poke them.
                  Up their very "Smart" Ar se holes.

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,614
                    Having been offered a Smart meter recently and refused it, Mr S and I were told they will be compulsory by 2020.

• Informative Informative x 1
                    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      Actually, I don't think it would be legal for Energy Companies to charge more for non smart meter users, particularly as it would bring a whole spate of Court cases against them on various grounds.:dunno::snorky:

• Agree Agree x 3
                        Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2018
                      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +86,075
                        Well they have always charged people with pay meters more than those of us on the usual types, so I dont see why they cant get away with it.

They would just come out with the usual drivel of charging LESS if you were on a shite meter, sorry spelt it wrong.;)
                        Bit like mostly you get charged less if you pay things by direct debit, yeah.:biggrin::biggrin:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +100,836
                          In the "old days" when the Supplier was "King" and the customer had to accept the marketing dictates of a supplier that might have been true, pete. But these days, there are more consumer rights legally embedded into legislation, more organisations willing to take on Suppliers through the courts who have the funds and will to do so. Smart Meters "enforced" installation is not a political "winner" for any Government, [of any colour}, plus in the numerous taxes that you/I/everyone pays on their energy bills the cost of Smart Meters was included so as to try to lessen the resistance to Smart Meters.:dunno::snorky:

• shiney

Ratings:
                          +118,523
                          There's no way that they could actually roll them out by then even if they did make it compulsory. They're still fitting some of the first generation meters that are useless if you change supplier. They don't have enough second generation meters and I would be prepared to bet good money on it being impossible, even if they had enough of them, for them to install them in less than five years - and that's being optimistic.

The are approx. 25 million homes in the UK. Assuming that one fitter could 10 in a day (I don't really think that's possible) it would take 2.5 million man/woman days to fit them all. there are approx. 260 working days in a year so it would take one person 9,615 years - or 1,000 fitters would take just over 9.6 years.

The ten per day is a wildly optimistic figure as, even if 10 could be fitted as they should be done in houses alongside each other, they're not going to find all the houses accessible just when they want to get there. I would guess that five would be a more realistic figure. I also can't see them employing 1,000 fitters to do the work. But let's be generous and agree that figure. They would have to recruit and train those people, first of all vet them as they will be entering people's homes, account for natural wastage of employees and we're stretching it closer towards 20 years. Yippee! Jobs for life :snorky:

Who would like to set up a business making 25 million meters? :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

As I've just quickly done these calculations in my head I'm sure that someone, such as @Scrungee, will be able to check it for me. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                          • shiney

Ratings:
                            +118,523
                            Please sir? Me, me, me - I want to do it! :old:

• shiney

Ratings:
                            +118,523
                            I seem to remember the government saying that "the smart meters will not be compulsory". :nonofinger: :th scifD36: :whistle: