Smooth Newt ????

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Fran, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Have dropped them a line to say I got a piccie if they are interested in checking what it is. Went through their web site, so couldn't attach it. We shall see what they say - thanks for the suggestion. Why did you think it was a lizard rather than smooth newt - looking at the pictures, difficult to see differences.

2. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    It just looks so similar to the ones we saw at the New Forest Reptile Centre. And when I showed them the picture, they just said straight out - and they rekon its a female (!!!???)

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    The webbed feet I mentioned Fran only applied to the palmate newt just for elimination. The head doesn't look big enough for a sand lizard and I can't see any claws. The feet look too fat for lizard feet. Sorry if I am contradicting you HoneyBee. :( [​IMG] The real way of knowing if it was a newt or lizard would be the speed it moved, did it just scuttle away or disappear in a second? BTW The "bible" I use is the new edition of Collins field guide Reptiles and amphibians of Britain and Europe which is the best book there is on the subject. :( Go and look for it again Fran I would like to see the underside! [​IMG]