1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sneak Preview of shiney's Open Day

Discussion in 'Events' started by shiney, May 24, 2008.

1. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Good Luck Shiney for the weekend. I am sure it will be a tremendous success. I did ask John to give you my regards but in case he doesn't will wish you all the very best for the success of the event. One of these years I will get up to see your Garden for myself but am unable to drive at the moment due to sciatica and medication of tramadol.

2. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Geez i wish i lived closer.......hopefully you have a great day.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,227
    Just popping on briefly. Thanks for your good wishes :dbgrtmb:. It was fairly chilly and windy today but pretty busy.

I've just done a quick tot up of the money and we have just equalled last year's takings for the whole weekend :yess: so tomorrow is all extra :yahoo:

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
  5. bambooruth

bambooruth Gardener

gardener
    Ratings:
    +313
    :yess: well done hope tomorrow fairs as well for you both :dbgrtmb:

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    The Girls said it was chilly and windy, but they came from further South than me!

Amazed at how many cars were parked along the road Shiney :thumb: Well done you.

Thoroughly enjoyed my morning off, and it was very kind of you to show us round, AND to provide unexpected Tea and Sandwiches :yummy:

Plus I've got a couple of Christmas Box which have been on my Wants List for ages, plus one of your lovely Verbascum.

Good luck with the Total Takings, and all power to your elbow :thumb: and Mrs Shiney's Green Fingers :dbgrtmb:

7. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Sounds like a great day, all around.

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,227
    Kristen, it was good meeting you and the others. :dbgrtmb:

It kept just as busy right up to closing time :) (one of the neighbours said the parked cars covered almost half a mile of road :rolleyespink:) and Mrs shiney was very pleased with the amount of plants that were sold. Whilst a group of helpers got everything tidy and ready for tomorrow (today now) Mrs shiney spent an hour reorganising the plant sale area and bringing out new plants from around the place. With the amount of foot traffic around the plant sales area the lawn will take months to recover!

I haven't checked how many of the plants that you, John and GCQ brought have been sold but I know that most of the veggie plants are gone. Mrs shiney thanks you for the two big tom plants which are certainly well advanced with all those trusses on them :thumbsup:. I'll get them settled in properly on Monday.

I've just checked the weather forecast for today (it's only dropped to 12C at the moment) and it's forecast to be a bit warmer with little chance of rain, but windier.

i'll have a bit of a rest before getting ready for the fray. :D

9. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Good work Shiney. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

I was hoping to get along myself this year but unfortunately various things have cropped up and now OH is down with manflu :WINK1:.

Hope you're planning a well-earned drinkie or three at the end of all this.

10. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,934
    :) Well done Michael and Hannah.......:love30::love30:

Sorry we couldn't be with you this year,but our thoughts were with you and the other GC legends........:)

Your commitment to your charity knows no bounds.
    Kind regards
    Rod and Gill.

11. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,995
    Many thanks to you and your lovely wife shiney, for making me and Mrs JWK so welcome and providing us with the excellent lunch. We enjoyed the tour and meeting Kristen and GCQ as well.

Your garden is a credit to the two of you, what a great deal of hard work over the years to build it into such a lovely place. I can't imagine how long it takes you to plan and organise the open day, the charity will do well again I'm sure.

Thanks for the plants too, I've got Mrs shiney's alpine display in pride of place on our patio now :thumbsup:

Kristen, thanks for the canna seeds! I wonder if I should try sowing some of them now, is it too late?

Finally it was humbling to meet my match in the cake eating dept with GCQ's partner :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

Ratings:
      +118,227
      Thanks again everyone :thumbsup:

John, it was great meeting all of you. The cakes were very popular and lasted to closing time on Sunday even though some people tried to eat all of them :heehee:.

Mrs shiney thanks all of you again for the plants that you brought. The plant sales went very well and I reckon that we took about £1,500 for them.

The total that the charity will get is somewhere around £3,600 :yahoo: :hapfeet:. Fortunately someone has access to a money counting machine as I reckon we have about £1,000 in small change :rolleyespink:. We should have the exact figure in a week's time but I don't think I'm far out in my calculations.

Sunday was a lot warmer than Saturday so people tended to sit around longer (had to scrape up more chairs) and the atmosphere was very good. Some people got chatting to others sitting around them and stayed for a few hours - spending more money on tea and cakes :dbgrtmb:

It just remains for us to get the raffle drawn and then I have to contact all the winners (about 40 prizes) for them to come and get them.

Oscar enjoyed CAT-aloguing the books

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
      • Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
        +437
        Congratulations Shiney and Mrs Shiney!
        I trust you had time for some tea and cake yourselves over the weekend!

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,227
        Thanks Melinda :dbgrtmb:,

How did your day go? Would you do it again?

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        Wow Congratulations Mr & Mrs shiney..!!!:yess: I am sorry not to have been able to come, but no car this weekend so kind of put an end to going anywhere at all..!! :DOH:So glad that some GCers made it though. :yay: It was certainly worth all your hard work, I reckon your locals have it in their diaries for a good day out too..!!!:yay: ell done Mr & Mrs shiney..!! :yay: