1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sneak Preview of shiney's Open Day

Discussion in 'Events' started by shiney, May 24, 2008.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    Loli, how about giving him a slapped bottom :heehee:. we'll cheer you on :dbgrtmb:

GCQ, the hosta is looking excellent :dancy:. They're really good for big pots because they look good for so long. I think we've got a lot more of them for sale this year as they're so popular.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • greencuisinequeen

greencuisinequeen Gardener

Ratings:
      +42
      Fingers crossed we can make it then as would like to purchase something a little different with your help and guidance of course! if mine grows to be like any of the ones you have I'll be chuffed to bits lovi :love30:

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +118,497
        Do you need directions again, or are you OK? Our hostas are doing well but are weeks behind their normal growth. Some of them in the big pots are still in the basic spike stage but one is now getting going and has just got its first flower stalk showing.

Hope to see both of you on the 26th :dbgrtmb:. We've got lots of cakes :hapydancsmil::heehee:

• Like Like x 1
        • Newey

Newey Apprentice Gardener

Warehousing
          Ratings:
          +6
          well in that case Michael myself and Gcq will be there as i must say there was an excellent choice of cakes last year and yours and Hannah's hospitalty was wonderful and are looking forward to seeing you both next weekend.:dbgrtmb:
          With regards directions we can remember from last year how to get get there so no worries thank you anyway.

• Like Like x 1
          • Baymule

Baymule Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +373
            What a beautiful flower garden! And the smooth lawn makes me want to kick off my shoes and run barefooted all over your lovely garden! Thanks for the link so I could see your lovely garden.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,497
              Thanks @Baymule

That was over 8 years ago and the garden has now changed and developed. We get quite a lot of GC members come every year (some stay in B&B over the weekend) and we have a good time.

As we have now got a lot more helpers that come along for the weekend we get a lot more done. The takings have gone up from the £400 that year to around £5,000 this year.

All our 6,000 aquilegias died with the new blight the other year but, with the help of some GC members, we're trying to restock. The blight is still getting some of them but we now do have a few surviving.

Over 40 trees have now been removed and a few new ones put in and the rest turned over to flower beds (more work! :phew:). We also have non-stop entertainment all day (folk singers, choir, ukulele band, a young professional singer of songs from musicals, Flamenco dancers, Salsa and even belly dancers - all volunteers). We sell over 1,000 plants that Mrs Shiney has propagated, craft stalls, book stall etc. and some lovely tea and home made cakes.

This year we had almost 500 people turn up.

If you're ever popping across the 'Pond' then let us know. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
              • Baymule

Baymule Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +373
                It sounds like a wonderful time had by all. I would love to go to the UK some day. My ancestors came from England and Scotland in the early 1700's.

• Like Like x 1
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,497
                  I remember those days! :old: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1