So, any ideas?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Maddie, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Maddie

Maddie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Happy days!

For the first time in 9 months we have met our landady. Usually we go through our rather useless estate agent but she is in town for a while and is determined to do up her two flats (the one we rent and the one above us). Not only are we going to get bits around our flat done (which would make me incredibly happy anyway!), she has offered to hire out a strimmer and lawn mower for a day when it is properly dry out there!

BIG YAY!

So fingers crossed, sometime in the next two or three weeks, we will be declaring war on the back garden. Grass strimmed and cut right back, hedges trimmed and shaped, borders and (hopefully) a raised bed or two.

A friend of our landlady has called and demanded the council come out to repair the front and back doors, hall ways and collect and remove ALL rubbish.. they will be here tomorrow at 10am!

Will update once they have been tomorrow with some more piccies, as i'd quite like to know what all the bushes and hidden things are before deciding where we want borders and such alike.

Thanks for everyones help so far!

Maddie

2. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    There go.. See what positive thinking, and a positive outlook can do for you.:thumb:

Long may it continue.:)

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    What a great result. Onwards and upwards now :)

Make sure you monitor the workmen, in case they strim or cut something hidden in that long grass.

4. Maddie

Maddie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank yous and definitely, I' be out there watching everyone like a hawk lol!
    In the 5th and 6th pictures, what are the plants? On the right (5th pic) and left (6th pic). They obviously get big as they are also part of the hedgerow. I'm wondering whether I can dig them up and use them to fill the hole in the hedge - it might stop the school kids and drunks using our garden as a short cut?

5. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    Why don't you mention to the Landlady that if she supplies some basic tools for the garden, you will happily tidy and maintain it for her. Everybody wins.

Also check Freecycle/Freegle for offered tools.

Best of luck

6. Maddie

Maddie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Loofah - I think I'll do just that. She also mentioned she'll either hire the mower out again in a few months or pay a gardener to come and do it. I'm going to suggest today that for the price of hiring out people a few times a year, she could just buy a mower and strimmer herself and between the for of us (myself, partner, landlady and partner) we can keep it up together ourselves.

Aparently she quite likes an afternoon of gardening, so I'm sure she'd rather take that option. Fingers crossed!

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Looks like Rhododendrons. They should be coming into bloom about now or very shortly. Can't say about moving them if they are though. As they look large, it could be a lot of work and digging to get enough soil so the root system is disturbed as little as possible.

8. Maddie

Maddie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sussex, yep their are just about to spring into life. Hmm, might be worth leaving them as they are then. They seem to be doing well where they are so I'll just keep them cut back so they don't get huge like the others in the hedgerow.

I wonder what I could do around them, border/plants wise. Any ideas?

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    They tend to get quite large (unless they're a dwarf variety) and therefore block out light, etc. Maybe use them as statement plants and site your borders elsewhere.

10. GeorgeBean

GeorgeBean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Car boot sales, rummage sales are an excellent place for garden tools.

11. Karl-D

Karl-D Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hya Maddie, do you have an online yahoo recycle group in your area?
    You sometimes find gardening items on there and everything is free :)

12. father jack

father jack Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Karl D beat me to it:lollol:

freecycle is your freind you might find the tools have been well "used" but if they can atleast start you off it can only be a good thing

13. Maddie

Maddie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all and thanks father jack.

We never had any luck with freecycle or anyone local willing to help and with quotes of over £200 to cut the grass in a small area.. it's been left.. Until now!

The landlady is having people over next week. I'm trying not to get too hopeful, because I am dying to get my garden done, like you wouldn't believe! And I will be so upset if they let me down.

I have nothing to go in it. Everything I planted early in the year to have gone in the garden before now is past it's best. So it's going to be an empty garden, but a cut one, I guess!

14. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Hi Maddie,

Im admiring your ambition! Dont get discouraged though!:)

If there is a tesco near you- their value spade and forks are £4 each now instore.

Also rather than waiting for people to put up tools on freecycle- be proactive- write a short, attractive advert asking for tools, surplus plants, shrubs , rooted cuttings and then stick ot up on freecycle or gumtreee.com.

Perhaps offer to do do some gardening in return maybe? (Id create an email especially for the task to avoid spam).

15. Maddie

Maddie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Had a phone call about an hour ago, the boys should be round with their toys shortly to attack my meadow.. I mean garden! I can't wait, so excited!