1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

So Excited.... First Ever Greenhouse!

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Irmemac, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    Lori, your greenhouse looks cosy! I have moved a bunch of plants in today, but I'm not sure if all of them need overwintering. I have taken in: lavender, impatiens, geraniums, a strawberry plant, rosemary, chives, parsley, sage, mint and oregano. Since I've never had a greenhouse before I have never had to think about this.

My greenhouse won't be heated over the winter, but I think the idea of window film is a very good one, and I will have a look out for that. The greenhouse will have about 3 hours of direct sunshine on those (few) days we get sunshine up here. The greenhouse will get pretty hot then. Is it OK for the temperature to fluctuate like that in the course of a day?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,610
      I'm sure you've noticed that the greenhouse will heat up fast with the sun but it cools quickly too. Without a heater, they pretty well stay in lock step with the outside temperatures I know this because I kept an hourly journel of thermometer readings for a two month period in the winter. I used various means of trying to retain heat using various mediums of mass including water filled troughs that were heated with my homemade solar water heater. I try to heat with parrafin lanterns, parrafin heater, electric heater (too expensive) and finally a gas heater.

The film does make a diffeerence but only about 4f. This could be all you need but for us plunging down to -15f or worse, 4f is useless.

• Like Like x 1
      • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,686
        Yes, 4f would be useless to you. We haven't gone below -3 at worst in the last few years. Probably going to be Arctic conditions now I have said that! However that would be enough here, hopefully, to keep it just above freezing. Could consider paraffin, but not really got any floor space left due to plants. Would worry about safety. I think this year will have to be a case of monitoring temp and seeing what survives and what doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,610
          Yes, my first year I mostly monitored and spent the winter thinking about how to insulate. I had also tried bubble wrap - the kind meant for greenhouses that is flat on both sides. It did help a little but it look awful and I just couldn't stand it. That is when I decided to try the window film.

• Like Like x 2
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,201
            Hi,

All the above should be ok over winter apart from the geraniums ( if you really mean the showy pot type of pelargoniums and not the border perennial plants) and probably the impatiens which I have only really known as a summer time annual with them being so leafy and tender.

The 'geraniums' really need to be kept quiet dry and above 4-5c to avoid rot etc, which will be unlikely in an unheated greenhouse, really one for a cool room in the house over winter.

As you surmise wild temp fluctuations in the winter sun can be a real problem and this is where an auto vent really come into its own, - think you have one ??
            You can adjust its screw thread to open a little earlier so the suns heat does not get too high.

Not sure if you are looking to heat your greenhouse long term, but if you can get electricity in there, safely !, then look at getting one or two of those little heated seed tray propagators for starting things off next spring.

If more adventurous then making a small grow tent on top of a bench, say 4ft long and 2ft high using a low wattage greenhouse heating cable is another way to get things going earlier without having the expense of having to heat and insulate the whole greenhouse.

You may think your greenhouse has come to a standstill now but mine still has masses of flowers in it thanks to the late flowering of fuchsias, some cyclamen ready for the porch and even a regal pelargonium, all without any additional heat. :smile:

You can do it too !

IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0761.JPG

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,686
              As always, @ricky101, great advice which i will reread carefully and digest. Thank.you!

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,201
              Wasn't meant to be such heavy reading ! after all it should be a thing of pleasure and enjoyment.

Not everything others say works for them, or not, will be true for you, its a case of you trying some of those suggestions along with your own ideas; only time and your own experiences will lead to your own little greenhouse haven.

Mines a bit of a ramshackle these days but its still got some colourful blooms and its so nice to sit in there with a cuppa and just soak up the late autumn sun....

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,686
                I'm sorry if I implied that reading your advice is a chore, when it is the exact opposite! What I really mean is that your advice is really interesting, and I like to read it carefully and think about how to apply it to my greenhouse. The greenhouse is an absolute fascination for me, and like you I love sitting in there in autumn with a cuppa. However, while you enjoy the late autumn sun I get to listen to the pounding of rain
                :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
                Your flowers are gorgeous. Amazing colour for this time of year. I see your lovely fuchsia, and it reminds me that I have still to try fuchsia cuttings again, with your tips. That is for next season now, but I am determined to try again as they are such lovely flowers!

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,201
                  Some music just for you and your greenhouse .... just need your hippy trousers etc :)

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
                    Ratings:
                    +6,133
                    @Irmemac "I get to listen to the pounding of rain" same here me luvverly but thanks to the luvverly @ricky101 we can jig to the music :hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil: luv it :yahoo:

• Funny Funny x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,686
                      @ricky101 you just put the biggest smile on my face!! Don't think I will be able to wipe it off all day now!
                      :ThankYou:

Ironically, for once it is a beautiful sunny day here!! Frost on the grass, and while listening to the song I've been watching a little wren in the apple tree.... perfect!

• Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +6,133
                        :thumbsup: LOOK @Irmemac I've found us girlies some gawjus garden garb :spinning:

y.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                        • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +1,686
                          :lunapic 130165696578242 5::lunapic 130165696578242 5::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

My Pippa doll wore clothes like those!! Bags the pink "curtains" on the platinum blonde at the bottom!
                          :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 1
                          • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +6,133
                            :phew: I thought being as it's your thread and @ricky101 suggested the getup:snorky: it woz only polite to let u 'ave first nabs :whistle: ....I fancied the middle outfit ....luvving the tassles :hapydancsmil: BUT PLEzzzzz ....preeety plezzz can I 'ave the shoes too:hapydancsmil: they're reet up me street :yahoo:....now we'll have to let @"M" @Linz @Beckie76 and the rest of our GC girlies fight it out over the remaining outfits ....no using the bag to bash each other thou :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
                              Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
                            • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +1,686
                              The shoes are all yours, Bee :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1