So Many, But Which One?????

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by LawnAndOrder, Jul 20, 2024.

1. LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
    Ratings:
    +300
    The area of lawn is 83m2, so quite mosdest by some standards (see above to @noisette47)

Re "has been left fallow", there may be a misunderstanding here; as you can see from the photos above, the lawn has been regularly maintained, but needs serious improvement.

I wasn't familiar with the expression (1 of seeds/7 of weeds) and don't quite understand it; there are virtually no weeds here despite constant re-sowing of patches, and general overseeding. The only constant "weeding" (although some will disagree that they are weeds) is the sempiternal battle against poa annua.

I am interested to hear your interpretation of the saying.

2. LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
    Ratings:
    +300

Yes, I am going to go the “going up” route you suggest, albeit not quite as high. As you see below, I have prepared for a fair amount of topdressing, after close mowing, verticutting, scarifying, levelling, etc., to get rid as much as possible of the current mongrel aspect, followed by seedling fertilizer, and overseeding with a mix of weed free Johnsons’ luxury and general-purpose seeds. Then, anti-grubs’ nematodes (never sure about the unseen!) to try and combat the usual patches.

I suppose I am “particular” (not a term Mrs Lao would use, she has other favourites) about what a lawn is/should be. I am very tolerant about what others wish to see in their gardens. Some use their gardening areas to garden, others prefer to see them as sports fields, sunbathing or reading areas, or for children’s frolics. All fine with me. Our children have now outgrown all of the former, leaving the parents to indulge in more contemplative pastures. We have in our garden played football (the days that we have seen!) and have heard the chimes at midnight, albeit in the moderation dictated by the avoidance of annihilating some of Mrs Lao's long-nurtured plants.

I agree with your assessment re flowers, they matter a great deal and I regard the lawn as the jewel-box … but also as the equivalent of a zen garden where perfection can be experienced in infinite ways, depending on definition … I have heard certain musicians offer “perfect” renditions, simply because my ear was not sufficiently sophisticated to detect what they may have perceived as flaws, whilst what I heard was “perfect”, albeit in the ear of the belistener. I find flowers easier, they grow, bloom, wilt, each phase an acceptable part of the cycle. Dead-heading a flower is the easiest thing in the world, dealing with a dead patch of lawn is an arduous saga followed by eyesores for a couple of weeks, if not more. Back to Kennedy's quote!

3. LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
    Ratings:
    +300