So What Was Your Latest Gardening Treat?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Aesculus, Sep 29, 2010.

1. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    After cussing and unkinking a very floppity garden hose and always getting an undeserved soaking purchased a new unkinkable hose but the garden centre did not have the necessary bits and bobs to go on it out of stock not ordering until the spring etc etc don't you just want to scream..I came home thought about it Googled the firm that made the hose lo and behold I chanced upon
    95 Pence.Com ordered tap connecter plus a screw on one... fed up with them shooting of ! they arrived 48 hours later beautifuly packed just had to tell you all fantastic site excellent value.

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Hoses can be exasperating, they seem to have a mind of their own.
    I got so fed up I installed pop-up sprinklers, so with just the turn of a control..... Worth all the effort and the fifty quid it cost for all the kit.

3. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    Just returned from a week in Lanzarote - I'm with Shiney on the holiday breaks, especially having had a very warm and lazy week, too hot to visit the sites but great to be able to swim all week and get our disabled daughter into a pool via a hoist ( not many places where that is possible ).

4. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Hi shiney as regards to your £10 range of wellies I think i have the other Pair :D.

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Shiney my friend, you need to try cruises. I can heartedly recommend them and if a young whippersnapper like myself can love them, so can you and Mrs Shiney :) A drive to the cruise port (they got from Dover), then the scenery comes to you and no long haul required :)

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Me too, we went on a lovely long cruise last year to a far away island that time has forgotten. It was a bit expensive but lovely to see how people used to live in the old days. It's called the Isle of Wight, I believe one of their inmates has escaped recently to Edinburgh - watch out Aesculus they want you back :lollol:

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,457
    I couldn't agree more :gnthb:. From 1962 - 1964 I worked on the passenger liners (they weren't called cruise ships in those days) and since I retired I have been on a few cruises where I have been running the bridge on them. That is the card game, not the steering bit :hehe:. I've been able to combine that with the sightseeing that we have always wanted to do. Some of the places we wanted to go to it was only practical to take a ship to them. e.g. Last time we met up with friends in Singapore, moved on to Java, then stayed with friends who live on Bali and then cruised to Komodo and on to Oz where we met up with friends and relations as we travelled round. It's good having your own local tour guides :D.

In August we had a freebie two day cruise for the pre-launch of a new ship - 2,500 passengers :(. I don't like the bigger ships all that much. It was the press and travel agents preview and we were invited as I write for a cruise forum. Cruises are a brilliant way to see places but you only get a taster before you have to move on. If you pick the right one you can't beat it.

8. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    My originals were Dunlop, the rubber was so tough you had to stamp your foot to get them on properly. My new ones are OK but by comparison as limp as a rag.

9. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,457
    Unfortunately, nowadays, I suffer with cramps in my feet and legs and any extra tension on them when putting boots on can set it off (doesn't affect me when I'm out walking in the mountains :thumb:). So these new, more expensive, boots (Regatta) are just right. They seem as though they will last another forty years but I've worked out that the extra cost must be for the little buckle they have stuck on near the top of the boots :hehe:

10. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Shiney my hubby was a naval man. What company did you work for?

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,457
    Hi Rhyleysgranny, I worked for Union Castle and we had many sister shipping lines. :thumb: