Softening 'concrete' flagstones in a victorian coutryard garden

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Clydesdalestu, Feb 10, 2018.

1. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
    Personally i would only spend money on things you can take with you when you move,

It looks nice as it is but with a little imagination its can be made to look nicer,

Get more pots of various sizes put arch in there with a few climbers a couple of pairs of steps with plants on them and it will look different again.
    Garden.JPG sddddsd.PNG
    Capture.PNG

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi @Clydesdalestu
      Those slabs need acid cleaner on them it's brushes in and left for 5mins to soak on and get a good jet blaster, our next door neighbours slabs are like yours and her grandson just blastered them and they cleared up...we had all ours done fresh but they're still cleaned like that every year and they come up like new :)

SDC13577.JPG

SDC14648.JPG

Since then in 10yrs plants besides grass have been altered and the slabs look just as good with last years picture...just acid clean them mate:)

SDC13219.JPG

• Like Like x 4
      • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,686
        @"M" Thank you for posting that link. I thoroughly enjoyed wandering through that absolute haven of a garden! What a treat! I can also see why @Clydesdalestu's garden reminds you of it.

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Clydesdalestu

Clydesdalestu Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +27
          Some great ideas in the link; thanks! I’m actually going to turf the raised area shown in these pics. It was originally really scrappy grass when we moved in, but I removed it and bark chipped it until I decided what to do. I love the idea of the bamboo in pots too. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
          • toppington

toppington Tiny garden, always on the cheap!

Ratings:
            +1,179
            Also being in a rented garden, I would suggest the following:

- Ask the letting agent or landlord direct if you are able to make any alterations to the garden, before doing anything. It is the landlord's house and they own it - and when you move out, you may be asked to put any alterations back to how it was when you moved in! This could be costly...

- Make sure any changes you make that are structural can be un-done fairly easily - as you may be asked to take them down by the landlord/letting agent, and will need to take them with you when you move out.

- Make sure you have permission to plant large plants if they are going in the ground.

- Make sure any changes to trees/bushes already in the garden are allowed by the landlord - eg hard pruning or removal.

- With all that in mind, pots and containers are TOTALLY your friend. And bedding plants, if you have a small bed that you can garden in! You can create massively marvellous changes to areas of the garden by having a range of plants in pots - and create a wonderful atmosphere too!

Sorry the start of this seems so negative - but it is important to be realistic with changes that can be made to rental gardens sadly. I feel your pain - would love trees, large shrubs and to put loads of other bits in the garden, but due to my letting agreement and landlord preferences (and I can't afford it!) can only grow small things and things in containers, as it's their house and garden!

• Like Like x 3
            • Clydesdalestu

Ratings:
              +27
              Hi. Thanks for all your thought in this. Fortunately a) my wife runs a property letting business, so we’re up to speed on the potential limitations and b) the agent and landlord have given us free rein to do whatever we like as it was in such poor condition when me moved in. Really appreciste your advice though. Looks like it will be pots pots pots from this point by forward. Just a bit of a pain having to water them so often. Hey-ho, it’s a small cost to pay!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                Ah, but the *advantages* ;) You can move them around to instantly change the look, the mood, the lighting!
                Watering: well, to be fair, in the hot weather, I'm having to water the garden anyway. For pots, a tip I picked up from a professional gardener is: make drainage holes, in the side of a pot, an inch or two above the base. Fill that bottom inch/two with grit, put a J-cloth over that (to stop the soil from falling into the grit), then add your compost and plant. The advantage is you provide a reservoir in the bottom of your pot so that the pot will always have some hydration. It also means you don't have to be *as* worried about it drying out.

• Informative Informative x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                  +10,302
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Clydesdalestu

Ratings:
                    +27
                    Hi, does that whole ‘use yoghurt to promote lichen / Moss / ageing’ thing actually work?

• Like Like x 1