Soil Testing

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Sargan, Jul 20, 2024.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,957
    I'm sure that is the one I used last time and gave me consistent results. But these things are probably made in china and produced as cheaply as possible, maybe it has changed if the reviews are to be trusted.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    I think this is the point, if you just buy a cheap DIY kit how accurate is it going to be.
    Farmers obviously do this because its their lively hood likewise any one growing professionally.
    I just wonder how many samples you would need to take from various parts of the garden unless you have a large area that resembles a ploughed field surely it will vary from place to place.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
      Ratings:
      +4,947
      True, farmers will also get the soil tested as it is a legal requirement. They would take about 10 or more samples from a field doing at points of a W twice. This method can be done by the general public but they tend to tell you to thoroughly mix all the samples together before sending off just one soil sample, it would work out to expensive for the general public to pay for 10 samples on a smallish lawn.

This link below is helpful for farmers as there is a link to the database of certified soil testing companies.

Farming Rules for Water: The vital role of soil testing – Creating a better place (blog.gov.uk)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
    • Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
      +37
      Thnx

• Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
      +37
      Thnx

• Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
      +37
      I taook 4 samples per veg plot and 8 from, appreciate you need to average the results.

• Like Like x 1