Solar Water Feature

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by tiggs&oscar, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    But then you said

So you are saying that to you, writing one word in bold (because as you so rightly pointed out, it was only just one word) is a reason to think my post is agressive?

Please this is a forum, I always thought it was to help people, now whinge and moan about one word in bold (or capitals)
    </font>[/quote]I wasn't bothered about the word in bold, you asked when you had done it so I told you. It was someone else who pointed out the bold and caps thing. It was your implication that I was stupid not to have read the link in the previous post and if I had I wouldn't be making such stupid comments, that upset me.

As I pointed out, this is the other half who is doing this not me, I know naff all about electric or solar, I not even that interested in it other than wanting a water feature, how it is powered is up to the electrician of the household (and yes he is extremely highly qualified and experienced) not me, I was just offering to keep others who are interested informed of how it worked.

All I really ever cared about was that your posting implied that I was stupid, whether you meant it to or not I found it upsetting.

2. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    oh.

well please don't get upset, remember this is only a forum

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I say "the pen is mightier than the sword" I say" the pen is mightier than the sword "almost world war 3 over a bit of typing you should all be gratefull you are able to read it and are not visually impaired [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    Please don't argue [​IMG] . We all make mistakes at times whether in writing or reading and this is too friendly a forum to have this happen. Please, please just act as though it never happened [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The pen may be mightier than the sword, but it isn't as long.

This sort of argument does detract from a very nice, friendly forum. Particularly for us newbies. I am surprised a moderator does not ask everyone to, well, moderate it. [​IMG]

6. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Do not worry, you are all being watched!! ;)

Seems you are sorting it out by yourselves so of course we don't need to intervene and,
    as it has been said, this is a nice friendly forum.

[​IMG]

7. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Watergarden, thank you, all I ever wanted to do was point out that your answers could be interpreted as agressive, remember when typing there is no inflection of the voice so things can be misinterpreted.

Walnut - very good point, well made

All others...I don't want to carry on an arguement, I made my point many posts ago and I'm done with it.

TO sorry this happened on your post, I will let you know how we get on with our solar water feature.
    [​IMG]

8. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    e) It will need to be armoured cable if being used outside, which could be covered under a) , but a) could mean the amperage (sp?) and not what kind of cable (round three core, Flat twin and Earth or armoured ;) ).

Am I being picky ? If so Sorry .

Nathan.

Oh ...... STOP ARGUING AND SHOUTING !!!! :D [​IMG]

9. tiggs&amp;amp;oscar

tiggs&amp;amp;oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Flaming heck, all I wanted was a bit of advice on a fountain!!! :D

I visited Homebase in Berwick upon Tweed today and they had three really nice solar features but none were flowing. Cloudy day and they were somewhat covered on the display shelves. I've found a gorgeous wall mounted fountain at a local garden shop, it's �£50 but it's been there for so long I reckon I could make an offer. Does mean I would have to investigate the whole wiring issue through my bedroom wall but I guess an electrician would sort it quite easily.

Then, when I get my main mess sorted I could establish my wildlife pond and as been mentioned in this forum I don't have to worry about oxygenating that as there will be no fish but I think I will pop one of those solar lily pads in it just out of interest (and the tadpoles can use it when their legs develop).

Dizi, we shall keep each other posted with our experiments! Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

TO [​IMG]

10. watergarden

Ratings:
    +549
    webmaster, no it doesn't need to be armoured, you can use HI-tuff, but yes armoured is the best.

The bad news is there is a building regulation called part P, in short you have to have a part P qualified person install /check it, OR notify your local building control office first, then they come round and inspect it (kerching = �£)

How ever, there seems to be a loop hole where by you can buy a "kit" which has armoued cable and you plug it in (it has all the parts etc)

11. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The obvious solution is to go for low voltage pumps and lighting. 24v AC pumps are widely available up to 4,000 l/min and will power a small waterfall. They are slightly dearer than mains pumps but you will more than save on the installation costs and they are inherrantly safe. Cable is a heavy duty flexible twin and you can run it through normal plastic conduit if you wish to give a bit of extra protection.

The LV transformer lives inside the house and can be connected to a wall socket directly or via an RCD plug/socket. I used a heavy duty transformer (earthed centre tap) in a proper metal box for continuous use but the supplied transformers with the pumps are adequate for intermittent water feature applications. Make sure it has good air circulation and that it never gets covered.

12. watergarden

Ratings:
    +549
    Sorry, but you can not connect it to a wall socket directly (It should be supplied by a Fused connection unit, with suitably rated fuse) without it falling under part P, nothing says you can't plug it in though.

not many selv (24 v) pumps about though are there?

13. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Or if you ran the cable before 2004 (I think), Part P didn't apply then ;)

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Sounds like the usual mish mash of regulations the the government bring in from time to time.
    Nobody knows if they are coming or going, and its all designed to cost us money.
    I know electricity can be dangerous, but if your going to be dangerous would the regs stop you.
    I doubt it. :eek:

15. watergarden

Ratings:
    +549
    its partialy designed to stop deaths, since most people do not know how dangerous electricty really is, they often havre the atttude "well it works desn't it?"

But also come the time of selling your house, the potential buyers can ask to see your part P certificate, if you havent got one they will then (probably) knock something off the house prce.

This assumes you have had something done that falls under part P