Solar Water Feature

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by tiggs&oscar, Aug 15, 2007.

1. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Methinks I'll call an electrician as you are speaking a foreign language to me now!

Plus watergarden made a valid point. I made my offer on this place subject to survey, I then dropped my offer by a substantial amount (which was accepted) after finding out a window had been altered without permission and walls changed due to damp. The vendors were then responsible for retrospective planning consent for the window and chose to accept a lower selling price due to work estimates for the damp.

So, I don't want to mess with things I don't have a clue about and I would like to eventually sell this place with a clear conscience so I'm now hunting an electrician.

Once again thanks very much for all your input.

TO ;)

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, sorry I meant plugged in directly not connected (hard wired).

As I a side note the transformer is fully isolated (hence the centre tap earth on the lv side) and fused on both the mains side and the output. The casing is also earthed.

Low voltage pumps are now widely available from both the internet and DIY/Garden Centres. Hozelock also do low voltage equivalents for all their low volume ranges (up to 4,000 l/min)

I do agree though, electricity can kill so if you don't know what you are doing then leave well alone.

3. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    I googled before i made my comment, hozelock seem to be the only ones supplying a "low voltage" pump.

no need to worry about the transformer, if you buy a low voltage pump it comes equiped with a suitable transfomer, probably sealed anyway.

i wouldn't touch one with a barge pole though (just my opinion you understand)