1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solid Rubber Tyre Wheelbarrow

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Scrungee, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
  2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Inspired by those adaptations, I'm wondering if I could bolt a couple of new handles to the sides of the pan, but obviously they'd need some metal strapping running underneath the existing framework and up the sides to the new handles to support the pan.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Folly Mon

Folly Mon GC Official Counselor

starting new busniss in new year
      Ratings:
      +2,409
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I think I may have found one just like you need ... in my shed :) I have one that looks like this - the Barrow is quite shallow, rather like yours.

[​IMG]

Mine has a solid wheel though, I thought I had probably changed it at some time, but checking the manufacturer's catalogue its available with either pneumatic or solid wheel.

They don't seem to have an interactive website, just a PDF catalogue. Its made by Haemmerlin, model "Chillington : 9023 Camden Galvanised Tray 85L Solid Wheel" on Page 2
      http://www.haemmerlin.ltd.uk/catalogue2011.pdf

Looks to be 85 Litres, rather than the 150 Litres of a "builder's barrow"

£35 from http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mv...galvanised-wheelbarrow-with-painted-frame-85l - that link is to the pneumatic wheel model, but based on my shopping experience with Mole Valley Farmers I reckon they will get the one you want in specially (I wanted a pair of workboots for my daughter a size smaller than what they stocked, they said they wouldn't be able to take a return if they didn't fit, as they were ordering it specially, which was fine by me as I couldn't get them anywhere else ...)

• landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
      Ratings:
      +915
      dumper.jpg
      Maybe going overboard a bit, but one of these do you?

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997
        A Dyson with worn legs has just sold on ebay (yesterday) for £51 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261205694476?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 so they're out.

Buying a cheap 85l Chillington Campden barrow with a pneumatic wheel, then getting a solid wheel for it seemed like a good idea until I found out that buying a wheel separately together with VAT + P&P worked out almost as expensive as buying an entire new barrow complete with solid wheel!

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        :yikes: Good Grief..

• Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997
        • Like Like x 3
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,560
          Reviving this thread, I'm looking for the same wheelbarrow Scrungee was after at the start of this thread but I can't find a supplier up here. I'll be popping into Jewson tomorrow who seem to have a good range but being builder suppliers they are likely to be heavy barrows which is no good to me.

Any ideas please? And does anyone own a two wheeled barrow, your comments would be appreciated also please?

• Scrungee

Ratings:
          +28,997
          I believe they now no longer have the solid wheel still shown in some old illustrations that haven't been updated, but are now produced with a flimsy plastic wheel complete with thin (completely non shock absorbing) plastic 'tyre' and the wheel will break the first time it's bumped up a low kerb, or up a solid step in the garden.

I did however find a couple of servicable second hand replacements at car boot sales for £4 and £5 each, but that was over many visits and a long period of time, not just something you'll find easily a visiting a couple. There were also some dodgy one with nearly rusted through framework, one freshly painted to obscure it.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
            +8,083
              • Hi @Sheal. Hope all well in your new home. I'm not sure why you would want a solid wheeled barrow? they are quite a bit of a bone shaker IMO. I am quite knowledgeable about gardening but more so about barrows:). Having spent upwards of 20 years shovelling you know what and mucking out stables I have bought countless barrows of all shapes and sizes, even a folding one with solid tyre as below for when we used to travel around the country with horses,so[​IMG] having tried all sorts including plastic bodied (rubbish unless you keep them under cover and treat them gently I could just about count myself an expert (sad indictment of my life really:lunapic 130165696578242 5:)Who uses barrows the most during their employment? probably builders, therefore they will be likely to have sussed out the best barrows. I use what most builders do.I have 3 of these below in various states! 1 is maybe 15 years old, 1 about 5 and 1 about 2. All going strong having been used pretty much daily when used for mucking out and now still used when cleaning the field of droppings plus barrowing tonnes of wood that we use for the wood burners and have barrowed paving slabs in them and cement plus of course bags of compost and mountains of weeds prunings etc from the garden. You would be surprised how some barrow shapes are rubbish for pushing so before you buy anything try and have a trial run with 1 preferably with something reasonably heavy in it. Both my hands and elbows are pretty damaged yet I don't find this barrow heavy to use. The last 1 I got cost about £50. Not the cheapest but will "see me out" as my granny used to say!www.haemmerlin.co.uk/
              • download barrow.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
            • Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
              Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              • Like Like x 1
              • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                That's a bit smart @Zigs, "the Expert" will try 1 of these out should any of my old faithfuls have to go to the barrow heaven:)

• Like Like x 1
                • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +89,808
                  Good afternoon my cars got solid tyres:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • Agree Agree x 1