some advice please....

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by rudy, Dec 6, 2006.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi Rudy, very sorry to hear about Balti.
    My parents dog was in a similar situation. The dog was 90 (in human age)and she had a mammarian cancer and the veterinary said that considering her age+her heart not so strong, it would have been unwise to operate, as the dog would very likely just not wake up after the operation.
    Not operating, on the other hand, would have meant that the cancer would have grown a lot until the skin would have burst and then all sort of infections coming up+pain etc. were to be expected.
    So, although painfully, it was decided to put her to sleep, only a few days ago.

2. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes you have to think about quality of life and what is best for the dog. This is what we had to do with our old lab, Duke, in February. Still broke our hearts but I think we had his best interests at heart.
    A friend lost her mother some months ago and that was terrible. It was cancer and it was long and drawn out. She wasted away over the best part of a year and suffered pain and loss of dignity. She was drugged up so much she hadn't a clue who was who and my friend was relieved when she finally died. At least we don't have to subject our pets to that.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'm sure you did the right thing, Rudy, however hard it was. You know what you saw in Balti's eyes - and what they wanted you to do. Take consolation in that, and remember the happy times, as Gogs and others have said.

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I have an aunt who once owned a poodle, this dog used to develop " skin tumours " and my aunt would have them removed, she kept the dog alive for about two years but the suffering the poor thing went through was unbelievable, and I thought, come to that I still do, that it was very cruel to let the dog suffer, however, since then we had a dog, Rex, he was a very faithful,loving, dog, and one day we took him for his yearly check up and the vet said that the best thing we could do was to have put to sleep because his back end was going and he was going blind and he was going deaf and we said yes do it, I left my wife with him and left the vets in tears ( not even my wife knows that ). And it is the worst decision we have ever made because in our hearts we both know that there were another two or three years in that dog and we let him down. David.

5. sheppy

sheppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with Dendy, I think you did the right thing. Balti had a long and happy life and will always be with you.

6. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Dai

This is such a difficult subject..... although there may have been 2-3 years left in old Rex (but there was no guarantee), would you have wanted him to go through life frightened because he was deaf, blind, and unable? He had no quality of life left, you didn't let him down at all.

7. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    All the times we have had to make the decision to have a dog put to sleep, I felt it was the wrong one. I always thought either we should have done it sooner or we left it too long :( We always go by the quality of life they are having - if you could see little Molly now, you would prob be shocked but she is enjoying all things she should including a longish walk everday. So very hard.
    David, I knew someone who did the same with their little cairn regarding removing lumps and all because she couldnt bare to part with him :(

8. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I had a dog called Rush. Last March, a few weeks before my birthday we had my dog of nearly nineteen years put down, I had her since she was 5 weeks old. She had tumours for years but we thought best just to leave them as they didn't bother her. I was in tears when the vet came and I had her put to sleep at home. Always hard to do and I probably left it till the very last moment but she had a good life.

This poem was sent to me when Rush died:

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
    and pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done, for this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
    You will be sad I understand,
    but don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    your love and friendship must stand the test.
    We have had so many happy years,
    you wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend, only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me,
    until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree,
    it is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    from pain and suffering I have been saved.
    Don't grieve that it must be you,
    who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close -- we two -- these years, don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

9. rudy

rudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    oh god now you've started me off again :(

beaufiful poem ...just beautiful [​IMG]

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    so sorry rudy to hear about your balti treasured memories will be with you always [​IMG]

11. rudy

rudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi rosa, your pictures of goa are beautiful.

Thanks to everybody who gave advice about my little puppa. If i had my way i would never would have put her down but i think she had had enough as she couldnt/wouldnt walk round the park that last night. She told me and it was that simple.There are many 'had she been younger', 'had the tumors been operated on earlier','had she been speyed'etc questions but we didnt like the odds of the operation and taking into account her shy and stubborn nature with people she didnt know, we didnt want her to worry. She was like a cantankerous old lady really! Did i do the right thing- yes because she wanted me to. Love that poem, sums it up.
    Anyway, love you all. I'm goin to asda and treat us to a tiramisu!

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks rudy, that poem that johnny sent is just lovely, take great comfort, goodness its brought tears to my eyes also, very touching [​IMG]

13. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Rudy im so touched i feel for you,it brings memorys to me of my friends who demanded little but gave so much

14. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    God, even hard-hearted Windy's blubbing at that one!!!
    Rudy, it must be soooo hard a decision to make, but I think you've done the right thing, if that's any consolation???

Maybe a bottle of wine to go with that Tiramisu??? :D

15. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I find it hard to re-read that poem as brings back that dreadful day but helped me at the time.

Tiramisu and a single malt, Glen Grant 10 year old or a glass of Port or Belgian beer or just any alcohol within easy reach.