Something digging holes in my lawn

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by The Wizard, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Allan Hodgson

Allan Hodgson Gardener

Processing assistant.
    Ratings:
    +237
  2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    He could well be the culprit...but have we mentioned foxes yet? :thumbsup:

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,307
    I still think it's the squirrel! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,915
      yeah, it has to be a squirrel......far too much of a coincidence you spotting one next door

• The Wizard

The Wizard cos I've got magic fingers

Ratings:
      +111
      But it's been happening since June and didn't think squirrels were about that early in the year and if it is squirrels then how come most of the damage is done prior to me getting up rather than just any time of the day? Are squirrels more active first thing in the morning? And why didn't the trap catch any when I baited it with seeds and nuts and peanut butter? Anyway I've set the camera running overnight so hopefully ill get the evidence on there. Although it doesn't have night vision so if it is a night visitor it wont prove anything but it should capture anything that happens after sunrise so ill have to wait and see. At least once I know what I'm dealing with I'll have a better idea of how to deter it.

• honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,915
      any joy Wizard?

Squirrels are most active at dusk & dawn & they're also around well before June, despite what many believe neither Red nor Grey Squirrels hibernate! so they are still out & about even in the depths of winter...just less noticeably so during the winter months.

• The Wizard

The Wizard cos I've got magic fingers

Ratings:
      +111
      Saw some activity at 6am just after first light but no damage. Loads of birds and one squirrel that ran straight across and disappeared through the back hedge. Gonna keep the camera rolling again tonight to see what happens tomorrow morning.

• Like Like x 1