Spilled over flower displays

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Jack Sparrow, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    @Irmemac the pot is very tight for space. Do you think there will be for a plant to cascade as you so beautifully put it?

G.

2. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
    Nasturtiums would be a good plant for something like this, flower for ages easy to keep in shape, ive put some in my garden this year and they have gone mad, the picture with the red circle I picked all the big leaves off the area as produced loads of flowers and slowed the plant down, they look nice with the roaming runner beans :heehee:.
    IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0040.JPG IMG_0041.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      It really depends what you are looking for. Whether you want a bright splash of colour in amongst everything else or s statement piece to be enjoyed as a feature. You have very imaginative ideas so I'm looking forward to hearing your plans!

Martin, your nasturtiums look beautiful. I'm thinking of planting some next year, and it's nice to see how you've placed yours.

• Like Like x 3
      • toppington

toppington Tiny garden, always on the cheap!

Ratings:
        +1,179
        How did you all get on with this if anyone made a flowing kind of display?

I have sort of achieved it by putting too much Lobelia in a small barrel pot (with some other plants) which ended up growing out of the pot, down the side, and now along the ground too!! More accidental than anything (and doesn't look as good as the planned pot-flow at all!!) bit would like to know how it has been "properly" done!

• Like Like x 1
        • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,686
          Sounds lovely. Could you post a picture? I haven't tried it because I am having severe trouble with slugs, but will definitely have an attempt next year.

• toppington

Ratings:
          +1,179
          It's not that great to be honest- just looks like a mess!!

I don't have a picture saved, so will try and take one tomorrow. Not looking as good now though- the slugs have started to eat everything in sight! :(

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,686
          Aargh... I feel your pain! After being brought to snapping point by a slug/plant related issue yesterday I've put down 10 home made beer traps. Just went it and collected 75 slugs and snails and popped them in the garden waste bin, alongside the carcasses of the 30 or so I emptied out of last night's 2 beer traps. The problem is I felt increasingly sick picking up the slugs, as I could feel how squishy their bodies are through the rubber gloves. Urgh!

I bet other people think your spilled over pot looks better than you do! You will also have a better idea of what to do next time. Good on you! :yahoo:

• Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,414
          It will be at least the spring before I think anymore about it. I would like a mini wheelbarrow display similar to the picture for my kiddie corner project. Until the area is cleared and the raised deck is built I won't know how much space I have available. Research tells me though that kiddie wheelbarrows are far too big for what I want. Plan B?

@toppington We would love to see what you did, good or bad :blue thumb:

G.

• Like Like x 1
          • toppington

Ratings:
            +1,179
            The Slug Pub sounds like an excellent idea. I don't like wasting beer though! ;)

IMG_3728.JPG

The petunias were amazing up until about last week - now slugs are eating it all. There is lobelia in there somewhere to the right of the Cordyline... it has draped itself all the way down the side of the pot it's in, and into the ground. There's also some Nemesia "berries and cream" in there toward the back, and purple-lilac-white pansies too.

IMG_3729.JPG

Just above where the previous pic was taken- a £1.80 Clematis from Morrisons (bought this year, which is going mad flowering!) and a £6 Wilko planter! that's got some very drapey multicoloured lobelia at the front, some purple nemesia at the back, and one creamy-yellow and a white-purple pansy too. In the middle bit is a very floopy and quite unhappy gladiolus, which possibly will not flower, this corner of the garden only gets a little sun!

Sorry the pictures are not very impressive!! :)

• Like Like x 4
            • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,686
              I disagree - I think they're great. Lovely colour combinations. Your garden has flowered very well, and the slug damage is not currently too noticeable. I love, love, love nemesia! I have a vanilla one, and am sure that next year I will have many more. Are yours scented? Mine smells of cream soda! Lobelia is a great plant for containers, and I have a couple of trailing mixed still flowering, but looking a little more straggly than yours.

Concerning beer traps, the wasted beer was more than made up for by over a hundred pickled corpses this morning :stirpot:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • toppington

Ratings:
                +1,179
                As I am new to growing things, I had a wander at the GC nearest me (don't get to it that often!) and looked and smelled a lot of things before deciding what to buy. I was overcome by the scent of the nemesia in the GC - there was a whole aisle of them, the scent was amazing! Had never heard of them before, but will try and get some seed for next year and grow my own - the scent is amazing!

Ah! It may well be time to bite the bullet and get a beer trap in that case, and share a bit of a drink with some sluggies! Where can you find such things? Can you make them easily or is it better to purchase?

• Like Like x 2
                • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,686
                  IMG_2284.JPG Oh good, we will both be growing nemesia - good luck!!

I got little plastic tubs with lids for putting food in. 8 for a pound in pound shops, Wilko, supermarkets etc. I've cut holes in the lids - the plastic is very thin - buried them in the soil to lid level and put in about an inch of beer. Here is one from the other night....

• Like Like x 1
                  • Creative Creative x 1
                  • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,885
                    Looks very colourful and a lovely place to sit and de-stress; well done to you toppers! :star:

Love the creativity of Irmemac's "traps" ... but *any* container would do: a tin can, disposable coffee cup, drinks can, cut down drinks bottle, yogurt pots etc., just so long as it is buried to up to the "lip". Check your recycling bin (or, even the waste bins at work) and I'm sure you will find something which a) will work and b) equal zero spend :blue thumb: every penny saved is a penny towards that can of beer. Such a pity you will be forced to drink most of the can yourself :heehee:

• Like Like x 3
                    • toppington

Ratings:
                      +1,179
                      Oh no!! :D They are only having a few sips. That's a plan for tomorrow then! Slug pub, with me having a drink too. An excellent friday evening all around! I also know where they like to much the petunias and the newest branch of Special Slug Brew House will be opening there tomorrow night with a special party!!

• Funny Funny x 4
                      • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +1,686
                        :Wino:Here's to tomorrow night. Wish I could join the party!

M, I did use empty milk, juice and the beer bottles that the beer came out of, but a) it was truly nauseating shaking them out of the necks of the bottles, and b) I had already got one little tub prepared and it collected by far the most slugs. So, I have r cycled the bottles and set up 6 of these tubs, as I'm planning to use them long term. I don't like to put salt on slugs, but it is our green bin collection day tomorrow, so I've collected up as many live slugs as I could bear to and tossed them in the green bin. As they can get out of it I have sprinkled a thick layer of salt round the top of the bin. That way they have a choice..... :th scifD36:

I've also stopped dishing out Heineken, and picked up a 4 pack of Basic Bitter from Sainsbury's for £1.10. I'm not a beer drinker but it doesn't smell as strong. However it seems to be working as there is a steady stream of slugs in those directions...

• Like Like x 1