squirrels

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by The Nut, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    This morning we were in the kitchen having breakfast, one of our cats perching on the fridge with the same glazed expression that all four of us wear when crawling collectively out of bed aiming for coffee, when all of a sudden she sat up, tail and fur all straight then she shot out of the window at full speed and disappeared around the house. After half a minute a wild fracas ensued at the living room window on the other side of the house, it was a squirrel, trying to climb the glass while Muffin tried to catch it from under the window sill. It was the strngest scene I have ever witnessed, this squirrel trying to get inside the window while I was standing just on this side of the glass. I would have opened the window, but since they open outward I would just have propelled it into Muffin's waiting jaws. Anyway, it managed to make an olympic class long jump to the climbing rose (ouch), from which it then jumped again right over Muffin's head into the wild grass meadow, and zoooooom, at full speed towards the line of trees at the very back of the garden. Muffin almost caught it on the way, but only almost. She looked half a squirrel herself, het tail was so big, lol. We are surrounded by fields and woods and squirrels come and go, but I think this was her first close encounter with one.

2. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Your Muffin will be on full alert from now on for that same squirrel because they now have unfinished business.
    Keep us updated on further encounters of the close kind.

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Around this neck of the woods we call em "Tree Rats"

4. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Himself call pigeons 'sky rats'