standard fuschia???

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lelly, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    [​IMG]

How do you like my table standard grown from a tip cutting this year she is called Blaze Away over the next few weeks think she should burst into bloom.

So pleased with her.

2. suburban

suburban Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Scotkat,
    I think your standard fuschia looks marvelous. Do you have a beginer's guide on how to grow them, what type to use, what time of year to start them and any tips for getting the best results?

Suburban.

3. Bluedun

Bluedun Gardener

Layabout
    Ratings:
    +37
    Sorry but climbing Fuchsia No. It is a fast growing plant and needs support.
    Left outside next year the top growth will be dead and new growth will come frome the base.

Growing standards is fun. Take cuttings about September, keep the frost free keep potting on and next spring start training. to get a good head you will need 18 months.

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Fuchsias are wonderful plants which come in a few different colour varieties. For what I have seen they not only flower for an extended time, but they look considerably better once well established.

5. MacGardener

MacGardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I had a Lady Boothby some years back. Kept it in a 12" pot. It did well in year 1, but hardly flowered in year 2 and 3, and then chucked it out due to lack of space and too many other better fuchsia standards - Checkerboard, Lye's Unique, and Tennessee Waltz to mention just three of the commonly available ones