Star gazing

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by martin-f, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Thank you very much. Most informative. I have seen Venus, Jupiter & a couple of others recently. I'll have to check the piggy bank and prices of scopes. Thanks again.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hello @ARMANDII have you managed to get a better focus :)

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834
      Hi Gail, i sorted the focal length of the camera a few days ago. But the image that made your eyes blurry was nothing to do with the focus but because it was was a minute long exposure without accurate tracking. So the focus is fine but I need clear skies and the Moon just to confirm it.
      However, I have just been given a very nice camera, for my pending retirement from where I work, which is an advanced model of the same brand of camera I have now and that, some reason, is not being recognised by the software I'm using for imaging and camera control and so can't be used until I solve the problem.:doh::dunno::gaah: So we go from one problem to another!!!:wallbanging::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Hello ARMANDII, Right i'm with you regarding how the focus looked to my eyes...mind you they need doing bad but for some reason the shredder loves the letters :snorky:….well I hope skies and Moon adjust for you soon to take more pic's ;)
        Very nice I must say...another new cam to your nice collection...do you think you might have to download an app to work with the software to make it compatible :scratch:….don't start tatting with that get your first issue sorted first :pathd:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Hello @ARMANDII hows the focusing going?...or have the skies still not been to good to sort it out :)

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,834
          Hi Gail, the main problem now is getting clear skies to take some images. As I mentioned before the Planets are very low on the horizon so not good for pics but the camera I've been using is calibrated nicely and ready to take images. I had about 20 minutes of clear skies tonight and tested out the new camera bought by the 5 "gentlemen", who I've worked for for the last 16 years, as a retirement present. It took me several sessions trying to calibrate the first camera but, tonight, I was able to get the right focal length for the new camera within a couple of tries and 20 minutes.........and then the cloud moved in:dunno::gaah::wallbanging::heehee:. The new camera is so much more sensitive and should take some good images when the skies clear. :snorky:

• Like Like x 1
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Hello @ARMANDII I know the skies are not good for you at the moment and it's a shame as you love it :dunno: but at least you have it ready to test images when your able to take them :fingers crossed:

Your like a kid ;) :snorky: I knew you'd be on that new camera but knowing how to use them like you do, you should be able to capture some nice pic's...I bet it's annoying you being your hobby :)

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,834
            Naah, we astronomers are a patient lot as the Weather is so fickle and like tonight the skies can be clear and so you get everything ready and find that within minutes the cloud has arrived. There's a astronomy "superstition" that if you buy a new piece of kit you're guaranteed to get at least 6 weeks of heavy cloud afterwards:heehee: If's one of the reasons I decided to get the Observatory so that I can walk out of the Kitchen and into the garden straight into the Observatory and switch everything on and be ready to observe or take images within seconds, whereas before it would mean lugging heavy equipment out onto the patio, setting up, aligning the telescope with the North Star, only to find the cloud has arrive or it's started to rain even though the skies were clear just minutes ago. So patience and a sense of humour is a must.:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
            • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              I had a friend once. He was what I'd call an impulse buyer. Come round and see it. I did just that. I think it was called a 4" or 4,5" reflector scope. It had everything, side tubes and canera fixing points. Stout tripod with a mechanical device that if set correct would track a star or planet. He st the scope up and eventually he found what he identified the moon. In the background, his wife was going back and fro muttering, waste of money etc. How these two ever fell in love and got married, heaven knows. Some years later I do believe they parted company. Admiring the moon I couldn't help shouting out. Hey look at that. What's that Mick he says. That. Look at that crater down on the left. Isn't that someone climbing out? Blimey mate, I think you're right. SORRY. So much for my friends. I believe the scope ended up on top of his wardrobe. What a waste.

• Funny Funny x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Actually I don't blame you buying it and having the luxury of just going from one place to another and it being rigged up ready, then having to rig it up on the night and then your most likely missing what you want to capture :dbgrtmb:

• Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Nice one Mike just coming on the forum and having a :snorky:….they most likely parted company Mike through him paying more attention to his reflector scope than his wife ;):heehee:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,834
              • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                +10,302
                • Like Like x 2
                • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                  +10,302
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
                    Ratings:
                    +323
                    Yes , and even that is nowhere near the edge of the Solar System . That vast realm of cometary debris known as the Oort cloud lies much further away .
                    The BBC news depictions or graphics show the planets seemingly close enough to cast shadows on each other (!) . Quite amusing really .
                    The average human mind would recoil in horror facing such unimaginable distances .

Voyager 2 , launched in the 70's ,currently hurtling through the cosmos at around 30,000mph ,will come within about 4ly. of Sirius in around 296,000 years from now !

Now there's food for thought when looking at this star tonight !

• Agree Agree x 2