Starting a Business

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by roadkill, Feb 9, 2011.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    I spent 25 years giving advice to people who wanted to be self-employed. As Lyn says, it can be scary.

I agree with those that say keep your job and try to see how well you get on with other things in your spare time.

If you get to the stage of wanting to do it full time then get all your ideas down on paper. Then examine each part and try and list the good and bad things about it.

Then collate all your ideas and try and work up a business plan - i.e.
    costings to get started properly
    where your outlets can be and can you get them
    what competition do you have in your area
    advertising for more business
    running cost and depreciation for your vehicle
    same for your equipment
    possible licensing - depending on what and where you do it
    accountancy
    and most importantly - putting money aside for the taxman

When you have got your ideas and information together find your local 'Enterprise Agency' or 'Business Link' (Business Link will soon be morphing into something else under new government ideas) who are likely to be able to give you free advice.

Good luck :dbgrtmb:

2. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    It is quite a scarey thing to decide to go self employed with your own business. Especially if you have been a wage slave for a number of years. Even if my health allowed, I could not go back to working for an employer again. Me and so called managers do not very often see eye to eye. I have been employed as a manager as well. Didn't like it and got very stressed at times.

I would suggest that you do your best to hang onto your job as long as you can while trying to get things up and running in your spare time. Least that way you still have an income to fall back on if things go belly up. Most new business failures occur in the first 12 months of trading. Bad planning and under funding is the most common cause.

A good business plan is essential. Get someone else to look at it before you commit to anything costly or difficult to get out of. There are a lot of government backed agencies that can offer free help and advise. As someone else has mentioned, don't forget the tax man. He is ruthless and unforgiving.

Decide exactly what you want to do. Stick to what you are sure you can achieve in your first year. Expansion into other areas will cost you money and valuable time. So walk before you try to run. Being ambitious is great, but remember to make sure those customers you won at the start will need to be cared for as well as finding new ones.

Sadly you will find your enthusiasm is dented by red tape and financial costs for things like insurances that you will hopefully never need but are essential into todays compensation chasing society. Costs of essential equipment are quite frankly horrendous. Vehicles and tools are easily damaged or stolen.

Once you have a clear idea of what you want to do. Thoroughly check your local potential market and the existing suppliers. Be realistic about the competition and bear in mind that you will have to travel to customers land/premises. So your market is going to be on your doorstep.

It is a tough and hostile world you want to get into. Good luck with your plans. I hope it works out well for you.

Chopper.

3. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    As Lyn said if you really want to have a go DO IT :thumb:

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    All I will say is
    NEVER get into a business you are not an expert in.
    REMEMBER there is no salary at the end of the month. The only money going in there - EVER - is what you make yourself.
    If you are SURE you can hack it - go for it.
    Otherwise, collect your salary.
    Best wishes for whatever decision you make.