1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting a tropical looking garden

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by TMAK, Aug 1, 2015.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    I'd never call a BoP hardy, it only survives because it gets protection, which is the point I'd like to make.
    To me things are only really hardy if given no protection and in exposed positions, and even then only after a few cold winters.:smile:

2. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,586
    TMAK, have you any pictures of the area? A picture speaks a thousand words. :)

Agaves and Yuccas won't grow in a wet area. Fatsias, bamboos, bananas, etc, will.

I'm in the mid-west of Ireland and I have an Arid section with Agaves, Beschornerias, (slug and snail magnets, even more so than hostas), Yuccas, etc. However, I glazed (or rather my brother did) the pergola area they were in. I have a Jungle section but it's not very exciting; just bamboos, Photinia Red Robins, Fatsia, Cortaderia Richardii and Phormiums. Then I have mixed areas with Trachycarpus, Phoenix Canariensis, more bamboos etc.
    Here's a piccie of the Arid section but remember the pergola overhead is glazed and keeps 99% of the rain off. They wouldn't survive without that protection in the sodden climate of Ireland. However with bamboos etc, the more wet they get (without being waterlogged) the more they'll grow.

[​IMG]

EDIT: If you have peaty soil, then I'd definitely go for a Magnolia Grandiflora and maybe the Irish Strawberry Tree (Arbutus Unedo).

• Like Like x 6
      Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    • TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
      Ratings:
      +217
      Hi Kindredspirit, I've seen your garden on another forum, it is absolutely stunning,
      I'll have to have a look back through them for the jungle section, I'll try and get a pic up now I braved the rain this evening for a few seconds to get a pic, Its a disaster of an evening out there

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      You've still got bigger balls than me!

You're correct - I should have qualified it better by saying tougher than we think with careful positioning.
      That said I've lost good blackcurrant and goosegog bushes in exceptional winters.

• Like Like x 1
      • TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
        Ratings:
        +217
        garden 1.jpg

This picture is taken facing east, excuse the mess its a work in progress.

The trees in the right are on the south side so facing the North, on the left faces the south and gets a lot more sun, but is exposed to the North, there is a young leylandii hedge planted but it will be a few years before it is any kind of shelter, hopefully the drainage should be done this week.

• Like Like x 4
        • kindredspirit

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +4,586
          If you get a chance to visit Milltown in Kerry, you should visit Dhu Varren Garden and see all the tropical sections there. Only a newish garden but everyone else would only be trotting after him. It'll be a reference garden in the future (if it isn't already). I wish I had his space. :(

• Informative Informative x 2
          • kindredspirit

Retired.
            Ratings:
            +4,586
            Can you trim the trees on the right? Do they belong to you or your neighbour? Looking at the pic I think you'll have to concentrate on wet-friendly plants so succulents are out (unless you bring in a couple of lorry loads of gravel, etc and make a raised bed.

Draw out your design or plan BEFORE you start planting. Don't plant willy nilly. And it would be a good idea to visit Dhu Varren, which is in a wet area, to avoid any mistakes. (You can visit mine if you like but mine's not in the same league.)

I think you should also hire a machine to gouge out a big hole to make a pond and form raised areas. (But then I'm biased towards water.) :) :)

• TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
            Ratings:
            +217
            Id love a pond Kindred spirit, ive always wanted one but it will have to wait for a few years, we have a 2 1/2 year old who is way to inquisitive for his own good. we'll have to wait till he has sense, could take a while!!!
            I'll have to google Dhu Varren, where abouts is it?

• TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
            Ratings:
            +217
            I could probably trim the tops of the trees, they are in a kind of no mans land, how much would you recommend taking off them, I'll have to arrange a free weekend to go on a road trip, my brother is living in Tralee so I have an excuse and a bed

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            I don't suppose that the trees to the right are conifers are they? The fallen needles make a terrific winter mulch for iffy herbaceous plants.

• Like Like x 1
            • TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
              Ratings:
              +217
              Yep they sure are longk.

• kindredspirit

Retired.
              Ratings:
              +4,586
              Maybe trim them down to a height of 8 feet?? That should reduce the shade yet still maintain wind shelter for your new plants.. They'll grow up again anyway.

• TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
              Ratings:
              +217
              Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll get to make a start on the garden this year. the groud is too wet to get a machine into, just goes to show what a washout of a summer we've had. Wish I'd know that before I started buying plants like a mad man.
              I'm going to just pot them all on for this year and I'll have to make do with a small area on the patio.
              Not the same but at least they will be that bit bigger for next year.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,089
              I wonder if the whole area is fundamentally moist? What is the adjacent field like in general?

• TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
              Ratings:
              +217
              Yep you got it in one longk. The adjacent field is reclaimed bog. There is a land drain nearby that I had hoped to tap into and then raise my area a bit but it's sopping after the last few weeks. Going to be near impossible to do anything with it this year.