1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting cuttings in glasses of water?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by andrewh, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Now Clueless you have me going. I must try rooting in aspirin water:hehe:

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24

:lollol::lollol::lollol:I am going to try that, you never know til you try, I bet anyone of you that I can get bindweed to root in the stuff lol lol:hehe::hehe::hehe:

3. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13

Penstemons take for ever and a day to root in any sort of compost, but placed in water they start showing roots in days.

Now is a very good time to root cuttings of tomatoes, to get fruit later in the year.

My plants get overrun with whitefly and I have to strip most of the leaves off, so the supply of fruit stops.

With the fresh plants, the whitefly do not have such a devastating effect. so I manage to get fruit much later in the season!

Cheers

4. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Bindweed would root on Jupiter.

I love the idea of trying to root in soluble aspirin though! It's got that 'non-gardeners must think you've totally lost the plot' factor that I really enjoy..

Makka - root cuttings from Toms? Never heard that before. How do you do that?

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I once read an article where NASA claimed they could grow asparagus on Mars.

I know its all turned a bit lighthearted, but I just thought I'd better clear something up. Willow roots very easily and studies have found that a chemical that helps it do so also helps stimulate root grow on other plants.

Separately, willow contains a chemical that acts as an anti-inflammatory, and this chemical was synthesized en-masse and sold as aspririn. I don't think the two things are related, but I could be wrong. We could always try it and see what happens.

6. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Now where am I going to get a bit of willow?:scratch:

7. Doogle

Doogle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Which bit would you like?.......................

[​IMG]

8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I use the glass of water rooting method most of the time Toms are really very easy to 'take' this way just nip out the side shoots and instead of throwing them away pop them in a glass of water and watch them root.

I have loads of strong tomato plants already grown from this method so far this year they root very quickly indeed.Hel.xxx.

9. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Doogle............:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

10. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    I'm going to take a detour on the way back from the pub tonight down a willow-lined river path nearby and snaffle myself some material.

(my usual Friday night, these day, involves going down the pub for a couple of pints at about 6, get a takeaway and a bottle of wine on the way home before 8, then settle down to watch Gardeners World... am I really only 32!?!?! I depress myself sometimes...)

11. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Should I be snipping off side shoots?

Never grown tomatoes before but have tumbling toms in hanging baskets and they are huge now with lots of flowers.

What do I do?

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I think you leave those alone actually, but ready to stand corrected I am in the first yr of growing food.

13. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    Helofadigger explained it perfectly, Andrew!

Not a thing to add, it really is that simple.

Cheers

14. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of that bindweed thread from the other day - i had to laugh at that one!!! I'm sure the bloody stuff would root!! :lollol:

15. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My sister in law's father gave me some willow. I have some rose cuttings in a glass with a piece. We shall see. Oh how exciting:yho: