State Pension Changes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi chums.

I'm fairly lucky in that I'm still in a final salary scheme. On the face of it, I'll be better off under the new scheme because (as I understand it) my final salary pension is 'opted out' which means that I wouldn't receive any 'top up' from the state pension. I must say though that the whole pension thing in recent years hasn't been handled very well, but I believe it was flawed from the beginning (although with the best intentions), as it's always been a scheme that robs Peter to pay Paul. Maybe it's all part of the welfare system in general, whereby many people take the easy option and rely solely on the state.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +51,949
      I have to agree with Jack (again!) - my mum did the right thing and took out a pension with her workplace, and even consulted a financial advisor whilst doing so. Come the time she needed to retire (ill health), she again sought advice from a financial advisor who told her it was better to reinvest a large proportion of her fund (on the basis that she retired early) to see her right in later years.

Suffice to say, that was just before the crash in 2007 or thereabouts, and when that crash came the value of her fund was decimated - I'm not sure of the exact figures, but it ended up close enough to nil not to matter a hell of a lot.

The best of it is - the financial advisor, and the pension funds were all with the company that my mum worked for - Standard Life. So, if someone working for a pension company can get royally shafted, what chance do the rest of us have?

From my point of view, I don't have a pension, and doubt I ever will have; I opted out of SERPS years ago (with Standard Life) - I have absolutely no idea what the status of that is now, nor what will happen to it with regard to the proposals.

More recently (within the last decade :biggrin:) I had the opportunity to join a workplace pension scheme - however, I only got one chance which was on my fifth anniversary of joining the company, and at that time our daughter was newborn and I simply could not afford the £100 a week that they required (still couldn't afford it now, truth be told).

Besides anything else, even if I were to start lashing hundreds of pounds into a pension now, and assuming that the funds came out roughly even, I would end up with a private pension that would go almost directly to a private landlord in rent payments; whereas, if I don't bother and I get to my old age with only the basic state pension, I will get housing benefit, and have my state pension on top.

Either way I am going to be financially stuffed, so I may as well use my money myself now rather than letting it be used to buy some so called financial expert their next Bentley.

• Like Like x 4
      • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,626
        Well I'll probably be dead by the time I draw my pension :heehee:
        At this rate retirement age when I retire will be around 75
        I don't let things like this worry me too much.
        I have my financial plans already set out.

• Like Like x 4
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,838
          I guess that I too am one of the lucky ones who's company pensions are enough to make me "comfortable". I have been dragged out of retirement for the next year or two but to be honest what I have to pay in taxes makes me wonder why I allowed myself to be taken out of the field:heehee: But I've paid off the Mortgage and have only a few regular bills so I can't complain. However, I do think the State Pension is really inadequate for anyone to survive on.:dunno: :mad:

• Like Like x 2
          • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,597
            £144 per week = about £600 per month.

My council tax (band A - the cheapest) is about £100 per month.
            I spend about £90 per month on gas and electric
            I spend about £40 (I think) per month for water
            About £60 on phone and internet etc

I'd consider those to be the essentials. That comes to £290 per month. That leaves £310 per month to actually live on. Most of that goes on food. Taking my mortgage and other debts out of the equation, if I was a pensioner on £144 state pension, I'd literally have virtually no spare pocket money. I'd literally be living day to day waiting for my time to be up, and then the government turns round and says that people are enjoying a long retirement. I really hope my sums are wrong, because it seems pretty harsh to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Like Like x 1
            • Freddy

Retired - yay!
              Ratings:
              +12,517
              Which is why I think it's important to NOT be reliant on the state. Obviously, not everyone can afford to save enough to be 'well off', but with a bit of 'self-help' thrown into the equation, one can make a big difference. Maybe if there weren't so many spongers sucking the state dry, there would be more to go around for those that need it?

• Like Like x 3
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,838
                It is harsh, Clueless, but true. Which is why the basic pension will never be one that leaves the recipient feeling happy with. We have to kick up a stink about it so that instead of Landlords receiving vast amounts of money for huge rents charged to Councils for those on benefits [and I'm not attacking those on benefits but the Landlords for charging such high rates], in, say, the London and other high rental areas. We seem to be giving huge amounts of money away in areas where it should be controlled and restricted.:coffee:

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +49,209

Same for me pete, it looks like the extra we paid for graduated penion/SERPS/S2P is being 'lost'. Also I was opted out of NI whilst in a company defined benefit scheme, it looks like I will have to pay the difference in NI now to make up for that too. I can see my losing both ways.

This keeps changing. Only 4 years ago they lowered the threshold from 40 years NI to 30. This caught out Mrs JWK, she had paid extra NI contributions to make up her shortfall to get to 40. Then they suddenly lowered it without warning, so we had a fight with them trying to get back her voluntary additional contributions, which we lost. Well now I suppose she will be OK again, although they have upped her retirement age to 66 in the meantime to get her back. I will retire a year before her even though I am a year older, that doesn't make any sense nor is it fair. My sister-in-law is only a few years older than Mrs JWK and she has retired on full state pension at age 60, good for her but not fair again.

What a total farce, you just don't know what to do from one year to the next.

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,838
                    We have staggered from change to change and with every change people have commented that it wasn't fair to this person or that person, JWK. Every change will leave me, you and others saying that every time. None of the changes are meant to be fair just a way of spending less money and keeping more for the Government.:dunno:

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Freddy

Retired - yay!
                      Ratings:
                      +12,517
                      "keeping more for the government"? Lets not forget, the government are nothing more than managers. They all have their own agenda/policies, yes, but anything saved isn't 'pocketed'. It's all about emphasis...

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,838
                      By "keeping for the Government" I meant that the money "saved" is in fact lost in the morass of bean counting/mind deadening/total confusion of the theoretical Coffers of the Government system where nothing can be really traced or followed.:snork:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Freddy

Retired - yay!
                        Ratings:
                        +12,517
                        Ahh, yes:heehee:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                        Ratings:
                        +7,371
                        I retired last April
                        Only to find the company I did thirty years with and at one time opted out of Serps did a MAXWELL on me
                        I am OK as I have a full Naval Pension, and a civil serpent pension, though I am pretty angry that
                        The company I served longest with stole my money and got away with it
                        Mr X next door spent his £25pw at the Dog and DUCK whilst I put £25pw into my retirement which means, I have to pay my own way whilst Mr X next door gets the same money due to pension credit top up, and he having no savings gets his council tax paid I do not

If I were 16 starting off again, I would wee it all against the wall, have a great time have no fear of spending and let the Gov give me more than mug savers when the end comes
                        Never have worked, and definately not bought my own home WHY when you can live rent and council tax free, get the same pension as a mug who saved
                        Then if care is needed all free in SCOTLAND where I have the home taken and converted to care cash

If I off course had employment of the £50k a year type instead of the £18k a year then it would be different, I would have more pension, though still resent those who have done nothing getting more

Jack McH

• Like Like x 3
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +122,792
                          Jack will correct me if I'm wrong ;) but the required number of years of 'pension credits' used to be 44. They've messed this around in recent years and made it more confusing.

Now, I'm going back to the end of the last century :heehee: with all this. If you were out of work and 'signed on' you would automatically get your pension credits. If you decided to retire early you could still get the credits if you 'signed on' or if you didn't 'sign on' but were over 60 (they didn't want you on the 'unemployment' list). But if you were self-employed this last rule didn't apply. According to their rules, if you were self-employed you weren't entitled to the pension credits over the age of 60!

I started to look into this for one of my customers who was told he wasn't entitled to it and, with a lot of difficulty, obtained a copy of the full rules. The person at the DHSS (in those days) was completely correct in what he said - but I decided there was another interpretation. :ideaIPB:

I wrote a letter to the DHSS to say that he was no longer self-employed (quite correct as he had retired) and demanded his pension credits. I told them that they could check with the Inland Revenue that he had told them he was no longer self-employed (I'd written to them as well) and they found that they couldn't weasel out of it. :blue thumb:

They have probably altered the rules now to get round it. :sad:

• Like Like x 1
                          • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                            Ratings:
                            +6,543
                            in the olden days it used to be 44years for men and 38 years for women then it was dropped down to 30 years for everyone,now it has gone back up to 35 years for everyone.No wonder we are all confused.We shall all lose out in one way or another.

• Like Like x 1