State Pension Changes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    An extra £7,500 p.a. will be a nice little top up to my early retirement pension when I eventualy make it to state pension age. Paying a flat rate seems fair to those who've paid for a 2nd pension and saved for their retirement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,090
      I think I retire after the changes come into effect, so I will benefit, I guess. Makes up a bit for women my age having their pension age shifted from 60 to 65.5!

I don't see how the retirement age can go as high as 75. It seems to me that employers don't really want anyone over 55 as it is. And workplace stress has become so intense for people in most walks of life that no-one can bear it over that age, anyway.

For those in good occupational pension schemes some people are cynical enough to say that this raising the pension age is a back-door policy for getting people to take much lower, actuarially-reduced pensions of their own volition as they won't be able to hack it until they are 68, 70, 75, dead, whatever.

Anyway, what happened to the doom and gloom predictions for people under 30, whose arteries will be so furred up with an epidemic of obesity (we are told) that life expectation for them will drop back to pre-war levels. If the pension age has been raised to 70, someone will be quids-in.

• Like Like x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        I didn't realise, when pensions began ...

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,618
          Should I have any money invested a couple of year before I reach retirement I've decided to withdraw it all and stash it under the bed.
          I'm pretty sure by that time the conservatives will be gone, labour will be back in and the handout gravy trail will be back on track.

But knowing my luck the civil war will have started by then.:snork:

• Like Like x 2
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,838
            Who do you reckon will win, Pete, the Round Heads or the Cavaliers???:heehee:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,618
            Europe.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,597
            I've had suspicions for a while now that Britain is gearing up for war. I reckon for every one thing the public are told about, there's probably 10 things we are not told.

The great military mobilisation in greater London during the olympics for example, was it really necessary? Or was it a chance to test our ability to defend our capital, given that we haven't had the opportunity to test our ability since WW2, when it had to be done for real.

I saw a couple of news articles about war ships being commissioned not so long back, and one firm (British Aerospace? If not then one like it) which was about to lay off lots of workers last year was given a government promise and funding to stay geared up for a big order.

Much more recently, Germany has been waving a stick at us because of anti-EU murmurings. We've had to fight Germany twice before, and both times (if I understand history correctly), it was considered almost unthinkable beforehand on both occasions, yet we know from recent news that Germany is most unhappy with us, and that they have worked on some pretty impressive military kit lately. Still, it wont be a problem seeing as we are their biggest export market. With Greece unlikely to honour their debts, Germany is already financially unsound, and if our government banned the sale of German cars in the UK, Germany would be bankrupt (German cars by the way make up a very significant proportion of the cars on our roads. Not just BMW, Merc and Audi which are the obvious ones, but Jaguar, Volkswagon, Vauxhall and I believe Landrover too).

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            Well, we always cut our Armed Forces to a minimal before a World War, Clueless, and since we've been doing that for the last ten years with great competence.....you could be right.:snork:

• clueless1

Ratings:
            +19,597
            I puzzled for ages of the conflicting signals between growing 'instability' and cutting tropp numbers. Then my dad made a good point. Once you've been in the armed forces and then leave, you are still on reserve for a number of years or until you reach a certain age. So by laying off service men and women, publicly it looks like scaling down, but in practice you can get the numbers back very quickly from new recruits, and if necessary, there is a massive reserve force, already trained, to call upon.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            We're going off thread here, clueless:heehee:, but we ran a very close thing with the Falklands and the Armed Forces are even smaller now and troops are still having to buy their own gear to make up for the crappy stuff issued to them. We have no Aircraft Carriers now, we've got rid of the Harrier, Nimrod, and are cutting back on too many other resources to name. When we sent the one and only Aircraft Carrier to the Falklands it lost an engine as it left the UK and had to limp along until they managed to repair at sea. Being in the Armed Forces in not like riding a bike. When you leave you have to adjust to civvy life, if you can, and being recalled on Emergency Reserve after years out of the Service means you have to be retrained and re-equipped just like a Rookie.:dunno:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,371
            Do not worry there will NOT be a war
            Mr Cameron will come back from Strasbourg next week waving a piece of paper signed by chancellor Merkle assuring peace in our time

Now the big worry is Argentina and the Falklands, not a chance in hell of defending them this time, No aircraft carrier, = No aircraft, and we only have eight ships sea worthy anyway and they are oop north
            Now Argentina only have to take out the four fifteen yearold aircraft at Port Stanley, then sail in an Armada

Will the pensioners of 82 still be able? and if my memory serves me correctly WHERE do you stick the coal in these gas turbine ships

Jack McH

• clueless1

Ratings:
            +19,597
            I'm sure you're right ARMANDII, but in any case, lets hope my theory is wrong and we're not going to have another fight with Europe any time soon because if there is one thing history teaches us, its that there are no winners at war. Maybe there are winners on paper, but in real terms there aren't. Hopefully enough politicians have started to realise that too.

Anyway, back on topic, state pensions:)

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            Actually, I believe I'm wrong in being so pessimistic about the strength of the Armed Forces. Let's face we're got the 60 or so Spitfires packed in cases in Burma for just such an occasion and we can always use the ex-olympic rowing and sailing boats for the Navy.:snork:

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
            Ratings:
            +12,517
            Blimey, it's like *Dim* has made a comeback, all these conspiracies:heehee:

• Like Like x 3
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838