Steam Cleaners

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,890
    Where did you buy it from please FC?

No, I've had two Vax's and both never worked properly. My last one was a cheap upright Bissel but I had to clear air locks from the tube every time I wanted to use it. :doh:

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,884
    We bought it online - pretty sure it was either Amazon or Very :scratch: - or you can buy direct from Bissell via their website.

The Bissell is a wee bit fussy about being clean - if its not kept clean, it will stop putting water down (the water jet holes are really quite small), BUT that particular one is dead easy to clean; there is only one tank which has a bladder in it - the bladder holds the clean water, and as the dirty water comes back in it goes into the tank around the outside of the bladder; the top lifts right off that, so you can wash it all out easily, and the main filter sits just in the top.

To cap it off, there is a top cover over the dual beater bars which pops off with a twist of a couple of wee thumb screw things, which then lets you get all around the beater bars to clean them; oh, and those wee water jets.... they live in that removable top cover that you can just take to the sink and wash it out.

The upholstery hose is permanently attached, so no faffing about trying to store it and it is ready when you want.

Two negatives - you have to be a bit careful when you stow the upholstery hose back onto the machine, as it is easy to press the trigger and squirt your face :snork:, and there is a second rotary brush supplied that attaches to the upholstery hose which I have found to be pretty useless.

All in all, it is a cracker of a machine that we have used HARD in here (champagne carpets!), and it is far, far superior to the Vax offering.

Oh, and don't go buying the Vax/Bissell branded shampoo as it costs a bomb - you can get Mylek shampoo in 5 litre bottles that works out much, much cheaper and works just as well (if not better).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,890
      Thanks for the info. :dbgrtmb: Cleaning it isn't a problem, I would never put one away dirty. :) I'm not sure I want to spend that much as it won't be used that often. I'll give it some thought and have a look around this weekend to make comparisons.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +51,884
      Aye, they are not cheap - sadly, I think these sort of machines are very much a case of getting what you pay for though.

It can be worth keeping an eye on Bissell's website, as occasionally you will find them selling factory refurbished machines - sadly, the number of them available has decreased dramatically over the past few years, which I suppose in some ways is a good thing as it suggests they are not having many returns?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,890
        You're right FC, I normally pay out for better equipment but I have to weigh up the amount of use it will get in comparison.

The only supplier of Bissell's I can find here are Curry's and I wouldn't buy anything from them! It's worth having a look there though and then buying online as I really need to see and handle the machines.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          I have a Bissel carpet shampooer and it is fabulous when the whole carpet needs a Spring/Autumn Clean; so, twice a year. I don't tend to get it out for spot cleaning though.
          I also have an upright 9 in 1 steamer which I do pull out for spot cleaning carpets. I use it a lot for steam cleaning the uncarpeted floors (e.g. kitchen, dining room, bathrooms) but then having pets I just feel happier with steaming those floors as opposed to mopping. The handheld aspect is used mainly for oven/hob cleaning, window cleaning plus other grimy jobs.
          I suppose then, in my situation, I have a need for both.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +53,890
            Thanks @"M", I think you've swayed me towards the Bissell shampooer along with FC's help of course. :) The only problem I have now is choosing which one. :scratch: Having gone on the hunt here today there seems to be no suppliers here at all. Curry's have stopped supplying carpet cleaners at their shop so I have no way of checking them out before buying.

I will be buying online and it makes sense to do that now while Bissell themselves have offers on. Can you and @fat controller give me an idea of weight please, are they heavy to handle? Also may I ask what model you have? That will help me work towards a decision as there seems to be quite a few.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,884
            The one I have isn't bad - certainly lighter than the Vax in terms of its main body, whilst being more 'solid' if that makes sense. The Powerwash Premier 1456e I have is 11kg (minus water), but to make things even easier the tank unit just lifts off, so you can essentially split the machine in two if you want to make things easier to move around. In fact, I would say that this is one of the things that sets this particular model apart from the rest of the bunch - it's design is very 'modular', and it can be stripped down in seconds if you so wish; definitely the easiest machine I have seen for cleaning and maintenance.

At £249 with a 5 year warranty, it is a bit of a bargain to be honest - we paid £449 for it a couple of years ago, and as mentioned before we have given it hard use in the time we have had it, and to be fair I don't grudge a penny of it. Indeed, it came to the rescue yet again on Sunday when we discovered that a tin of Thompson's Emergency Roof Seal paint that had been delivered on Saturday evening by Amazon was actually leaking, and had leaked right through the box and onto the carpet below....... a copious dose of white spirit, followed by a thorough cleaning with the Bissell soon sorted it out thankfully.

Using it on the stairs can be a bit challenging until you get used to it - but once you learn that the hose reaches at least three quarters the length of a normal staircase, you soon realise tha tyou can do most of the stairs from the bottom without moving the machine, then simply finish off the top few from upstairs.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,890
              • Like Like x 3
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +51,884
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +53,890
                  I used my Bissell for the first time today on a couple of rugs and really pleased with the results. I was a little concerned that it would leave them wet enough to soak through to the carpet, but no, it left the rugs feeling almost dry.

CleanView PowerBrush 44L6E Carpet Cleaner | Bissell Direct

It is quite large/heavy but that's not to much of a problem when in use as progress is slower than a vacuum cleaner anyway. I also liked the compact set-up of the tank with both the clean and dirty water inside excluding having to deal with two separate tanks. I was also surprised at how much quieter it is than a vacuum cleaner - another bonus. So far I give Bissell full marks for the engineering of this machine and hope that remains after more use. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                    Ratings:
                    +31,321
                    I have a Bissel. 2nd one as I and my first oe were about to go down the cellar steps together because I caught my toe on something. So I let the bissel go, grabbed the handrail and saved myself a fall. Took the now destroyed cleaner to the recycle the same day, bought another the same day and am still pleased with it. But yes, it is Heavy!

Mine doesn't seem too quiet though. ...

• Like Like x 2
                    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +51,884
                      Glad you are happy with it @Sheal - you will see now what I meant when I said about the difference in build quality between the Vax and the Bissell. I was horrified when I took our Vax apart to try and fix it, to the point that I put the screwdriver down and binned it - the thing may as well have had 'dangerous liability' stamped all over it.