Steve's Polytunnels

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Steve R, Apr 24, 2011.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,311
  2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,645
    Looks very good Steve. I like the carpet idea I might copy that, I reckon some of these man-made carpets will last for years upturned like that and keep your boots clean too :dbgrtmb:

3. shiney

Ratings:
    +117,311
    It needs a lot of hoovering, John :heehee:

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, looks like its been there for years now:dbgrtmb:

Well done Sargent.

5. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Well done Steve ...It will keep you busy now ..

Dave

6. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Looking good well done will be following this thread

7. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    With the recent high winds we have had (gusts to 75mph here in Cumbria) I'm pleased to say our tunnel survived without injury. I checked on it twice through the main day of winds and it was holding very firm.

There is another tunnel same as ours at our Alottment site, in a more sheltered position, cover is dug in but thats all. Now whilst it survived the hgusty winds it was rocking away like a rollercoaster in the heavy gusts, I would not rate its chances in a sustained winter wind though.

Steve...:)

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats good news Steve. It was windy down here, but nothing like what you had.

9. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Steve garden project is fantanstic love your polytunnel.

10. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Sunny today in Cumbria for a change! Whilst the rest of the country is suffering with drought, we have been wet and cloudy for months!

Growth in the Polytunnel is Phenomenal, having space/room to put everything so it can all get light really does promote healthy, lush growth.

Here we have Tomatoes “Amish Paste” surrounded by Peppers “Sweet Romano” and Beetroot “Boltardy”.

[​IMG]

Next up a couple of Photo’s showing this tunnel bed from the Amish Paste structure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second cane support along in the shots above is where our “Sungella” Tomatoes are growing. “Sungold” is the still relatively new super sweet Yellow fruited Tomato that is fast taking over as the most popular Tom (so I have read), “Sungella” is a new variety this year that bears larger fruits of “Sungold”. Between the two tomato varieties we have some Strawberries with ripening fruit on them. Behind the Sungella I’ve planted some Aubergines.

[​IMG]

Many plants await a place in the soil and escape from a pot!

[​IMG]

In this crate we have a row of Rainbow Chard and White Sprouting Brocolli.

[​IMG]

At this end of the tunnel we have three more of the Giant Pumpkins saved for a friend on the alottment when he finally pulls his finger out and digs the ground over for them! Also we have 3 walking stick cabbages and seven courgette plants.

[​IMG]

Three varieties of Pumpkin to store and eat “Spellbound”, “Small Sugar” and “Amazonka”. I wont grow all of these, I’ll be passing some on to others.

[​IMG]

A selection of Brassicas here and next to be planted out, they include Cauliflower, Cabbage and Sprouts.

The next three shots show the rest and Include Turnips, Sweetcorn, Fennel, Celeriac, Purple Sprouting Brocolli, Leeks, Heritage Peas, Tom plants (from sideshoots), Kale, Yard Long Beans and Butternut Squash. I’ve probably missed a couple, but hey ho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thats it for now, looking outside as I type I see its raining once again so things are back to normal once more.

• Like Like x 3
      Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      So what you've really got there is a small garden centre Steve:D

Looking great :dbgrtmb:

I'm trying the Yardlong Beans too this season. Or will do if the slugs stop eating them.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834
      First time I've had chance to look at the post, Steve, brilliant job. You know your stuff, my friend:yess:

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      Its quite amazing when I think of the use our new Polytunnel has been through in such a short time of having it. In the two months since its been finished, its been used to store things, keep things dry (myself included) a place to natter with other plot holders, a place to grow on seedlings, a potting shed, a nursery, a garden center (Thanks Zig!) and now finally it being turned into an undercover growing space.

The 20 ft length gives me room to stretch my legs and the 10 ft width allows for two genorous beds either side of a good sized pathway down the middle. It allows all seedlings to get good ammounts of light whilst not fighting with each other for it as used to happen in our greenhouse at home. It also controls temperature changes better than our G/house due to its size and many vents (8 in total). As a results of this the plants I've raised from seed this year have been of the best quality that I've ever been able to produce.

However the plants do need to be planted so this last week or so has seen many going out into the ground on the plot thus creating empty stagings in the tunnel that can finally be removed. So more ground now becomes available under cover and is dug over and planted.

At the far end of the tunnel on the left I have planted some Celeriac, then across the end some Sweetcorn now resides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last couple of rows of Corn also have some "Yard Long Beans" planted within them, I hope these will scramble up the growing corn. To the right of the Corn I have planted some Bulbing Fennel.

[​IMG]

Just in front of the Fennel I have planted some White & Purple sprouting Brocolli, the last two winters this has been difficult to get hold of at the supermarket due to the extremes of weather we have had, I'm hoping growing under some cover will ensure we get a crop.

[​IMG]

In front of the brocolli I have planted some more tomatoes that where brought up for us recently by Mr & Mrs Shiney. There is still some soil not in use but that is reserved for some seed sowing.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
        Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +117,311
        It's looking good Steve :dbgrtmb:

The courgettes you gave us are doing well (better than most of ours) and the yard long beans seem happy in the pots that Mrs shiney has put them in.

Re sweetcorn: we took a chance this year (trying baby sweetcorn) and put them out in early May under plastic. By the end of May they were nearly 2ft high and in the last 10 days have grown phenomenally. They are now over 5ft high and are noticeably taller every day. Do you know how high baby sweetcorn plants grow? :scratch:

Four weeks ago Kristen dropped us off a couple of tomato plants that were about 4ft high with almost ripe toms on them. We have had ripe toms from four of the trusses and the fifth truss is forming fruit already. I don't know when he started them but they have certainly got a head start.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,645
        It certainly has come on Steve. Is that your Walking Stick cabbage in the last photo bottom left? :)