Still no flowers on spuds!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Winnie, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Doogle

Doogle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Our earlies (Maris Bard) haven't flowered and don't show any sign of flowering, they've been in the ground for about 13 weeks. We've dug up 3 or 4 plants over the past week (because of Blackleg) and are getting 10 - 12 good sized tubers per plant which is very pleasing - not too sure how many to expect but that's enough for our needs ! :)

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys.
    Just wanted you all to know we have just dug up two plants 'International Kidney' which didn't flower and my goodness we are pleased with the size of them, they do seem to have a little under skin bruising on a few of them but not enough to worry about.Hel.xxx.

[​IMG]

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "under skin bruising"

Not sure I've come across that. Any idea what causes it?

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Kristen I'm pretty sure that 'under skin bruising' is not the correct term but that's the only way I can describe the problem.

They are from the main potato bed where the Pentland Javelin were picked from the other week and that type didn't have any problems although I have to admit that the International Kidney were pretty huge compared to the Javeling spuds we harvest maybe they grew too big? Or is that a very silly thing to say?:scratch: Hel.xxx.

5. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I always thought that the black 'bruising' on spuds was caused by frost. Could this be the case here?

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Winnie not sure if frost is the problem as we have already eaten two of the other types of potatoes that we grew and to be honest all were a little late being planted the other spuds were fine although saying that maybe the International Kidney is more prone to frosts than the other types.

Anyway the Inter.Kidney tasted just as nice as the Rockets so far this year and as there has been no problems with the Rockets it looks like we will be planting a nice bed of them next year.Hel.xxx.

7. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Our daughter tells me to wait till she gets over on 24 July so she can help dig them up ..... It's our second attempt at spuds. First lot caught the blight and that put pay to that! These, on the other hand, although flowerless and galloping along! Can't wait!

8. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Winnie, dig one up....PLEASE ! The suspense is killing me :lollol:

9. andybike

andybike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my 2 spud plants aren't flowering yet but are looking very healthy,growing well and no sign of flowers.

10. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Been and gone and 'done' it! Dug about 5 plants up ... couldn't wait ... just like a kid at Christmas .... and there are some decent size spuds and some marbles ... Neverthless, even as I type this, the spuds are in the pan .... BUT looking at the plants the past couple of days I think they've got blight!!!!! Hence digging them up a bit early!!! I'm going to spray them with some blue stuff called bordelaise (French) again. Just hoping it doesn't spread to everything else!!! So "yes" Freddy ..... done it ... hope the suspense was worth it!! Lol ......