Strelitzia and friends.

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by pete, Jun 5, 2012.

1. averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks pete,I really think its a lovely plant. Its annoying, all the plants i like prefer acidic soil and i have chalk. I get away with planting some in containers. Ive managed azaela, pieris but i do love camelia and planted one this year in a pot with ericaceous compost and for no reason i know of it dropped dead a few weeks later :dunno:

2. averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +44
    Stephen, thats a grand plant :). If i could grow them in the soil here, without having to mess about with making it more acidic i would definitely look out for one

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    averil, my soil is not chalky, but I do find the odd chunk now and then.

Rhodos do not do well just planted as is, but I have one that has not done well, but survived in a raised bed, the camellias do fare better and seem to be OK with just a top dressing of bark and a sprinkling of sulphur once a year.

It's really down to how much you are prepared to do to help acid lovers survive on your soil.
    Having said that, most acid lovers, we grow tend to like moist conditions, and in normal summers that is the main problem, I find.

4. averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thats my problem Pete, I am what i call a "fluffy" gardener.I have nearly everything in pots and a very small area for growing directly into the soil. I am never armed with a spade :lunapic 130165696578242 5: