Stuffed peppers, tomatoes etc

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by clueless1, Oct 4, 2009.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    About the pine nuts, yes I use nuts a lot, using the coffee grinder you can use most types, coarsely ground walnuts are perhaps my favourite nut to use.

Bulgar wheat is very similar to cous cous, and works better for salads and things because it is slightly more fluffy. You prepare it the same way too. A Taboulleh using bulgar wheat, lemon juice and mint with some feta, pickled peppers, oven roasted tomatoes and olives all stuffed into a pitta is gorgeous and easily one of my favourites-especially with a bit of tzatziki to dip in. Very fortunately for me, there is a little shop near us where you can pick up all sorts of meditaerranean and near east goodies, and most things wrapped in a Lebanese flatbread it taste even better. It's a kind of huge, soft tortilla. These sort of countries have us beat hands down for vegetarian foods, although a chip butty is pretty gorgeous too lol.

Being vegetarian makes you much less forgiving when you go out to restaurants. Too much emphasis is placed on the size of a steak rather than the quality of the accompaniment, which usually dire; a small plate full of overcooked, soggy and out of season vegetables is, for some reason, is still seen as acceptable-and I am pretty sick of badly cooked vegetarian foods.

I have heard certain tv chefs openly show disdain for vegetarians-I think that says more about their abilities as cooks than vegetarian diets personally.

2. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    By far, for family gatherings, the most enjoyable food was always at my husband's cousin's house - she is vegetarian, and man could she cook! The food was ALWAYS flavoursome, and with the use of various other products, you didn't miss the meat one bit!

3. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Have you see the Moosewood cookbook for vegetarians. I am not a vegetarian, but love to cook from that book, well its the only one of that type I have. LOL. But its good.

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Yep, staring at the cookbook now on the shelf---Moosewood. I only have one edition, saw once there are several. They are out of New York. Made several things from it, and very pleased with the combinations.