Suggestions for slug-proof perennials please

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Heucherella, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    Oh that looks familiar!

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    So much depends on soil.....wet heavy soils "breed" the blighters and make for more lush plants......and other conditions when considering slug resistant plants but I have learned a little bit, at least in my own garden
    Dianthus for example.......allow the flowers to fade and soften and slugs/snails will appear; deadhead regularly and no attacks. Hostas? So far all of mine, potted and in the ground, are intact. I have not allowed them to flower until now and even then just on some of them. As soon as they flower and soften they are likely to be attacked. I remove the flowers as they go over....keeps foliage clean and dry and unattractive to the blighters
    Ditto with dahlias, heleniums and most others......just deadhead and keep plants as pristine as possible.
    However, astilbes are pretty much the tops for avoiding slugs.....persicarias, sanguisorbas, astrantias, agastaches, salvias, asters, hardy geraniums, grasses, acteas, heucheras, anemones, all seem untouched too.
    I dont have too much of a problem with slugs/snails here......plenty of birds, frogs, toads even the odd hedgehog help; keeping ground clear of rotting foliage and weeds, deadheading, the odd pellet (in early spring and sparingly) and the occasional torch and salt foray make a difference too. Over feeding is fatal......grow plants hard and sturdy I think :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Heucherella

Heucherella Gardener

Full time in my garden...
      Ratings:
      +301
      Thanks for the advice. It's Devon. It never stops raining, so the soil is wet, if not that heavy. Unfortunately at the moment most of my vast borders are a tangle of unruly ( slug-proof) perennials such as Alchemilla, Geranium, crocosmia, Lysimachia, plus weeds. Plenty of hidey holes for slugs. As I clear areas and replant with a wider variety of plants, the slugs home in on the new plants and shred them! We have finally resorted to a few pellets round the newest plants, and then we collect up the affected slugs and dispose of them. It is too large a jungle to patrol effectively...

Planting slug proof plants will stop me wasting money providing juicy plants as slug food, and then one day in the future when the whole border has been cleared and replanted, I may be able to keep on top of the slugs. Then maybe I can start thinking of hostas and delphiniums...

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      Thank you, Verdun, for yet more of your excellent advice. Plants you have suggested and that I have put in are ignored by the slimy horrors. I have a lovely potted hosta, but although it gets eaten each year, it's not usually to the stems. I will take off its flowers in future though, as well as deadheading more assiduously.

Unfortunately I have that heavy, wet soil you refer to, and crumbling brickwork in lots of the back garden, which provides a lush breeding ground. I've been trying to get the brickwork replaced, but 2 builders so far have let me down, and I'm struggling to find anyone else. Nematodes in my large enclosed bed are my next step, and continuing to remove as found and planting inedible ( to them) plants should hopefully help a bit. Keeping them out of my new greenhouse will also be a priority!

As seen in the photo my coreopsis continues to flourish indoors, although some leaves near the soil are getting eaten by something :yikes:

Attached Files:

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Irememac, why is your coreopsis indoors? It will flourish outside. No need to plant it whilst it's recovering but it will benefit being out there. You can still keep the slugs of it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,686
        Not sure how to keep slugs at bay without using slug pellets :scratch: Sunny spot, elevated, surrounded by eggshells, perhaps? Since it was so badly attacked before I was loathe to return it to the battleground.

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Ok, put it on an inverted pot and 3 or 4 pellets under it or a light dusting of salt under the inverted pot or just check now and then there are no slugs lurking. And dont over water.....I thought compost looked quite wet there Irmemac :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,686
          Thank you :love30: Good advice. I will also repot, as I just lifted the pot and a tiny snail shell fell out onto the saucer. It looks like there were snail eggs round the roots when I brought it in :wallbanging:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,309
          Surrounding the base of the plant with a scrunched up tin foil collar should keep the slugs away Irmemac. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Creative Creative x 1
          • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,686
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,309
              Let me know if it works please Irmemac. The idea was recommended to me but I've not used it as yet. :)

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,686
                I most certainly will. Can't wait to try to sabotage these eating machines' plans! :snorky:

• Like Like x 3
                • Heucherella

Heucherella Gardener

Full time in my garden...
                  Ratings:
                  +301
                  After a judicious application of slug pellets, I am seeing recovery of some of my plants. This Salvia now has new leaves growing at the base!

[​IMG]

I noticed yesterday that a newly planted Silene had been badly slug damaged at the back, so sprinkled a few pellets around it. This morning.....20 slugs!!! Including some whoppers. Hopefully it might have a chance now.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
                  • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,686
                    Well, the coreopsis has been outside for a week now, complete with its crumpled up collar of tin foil. Despite more slugs than ever before, it still has its leaves, so thank you very much indeed, it seems to have worked! I will post a photo soon to show what it looks like, but it has been pouring all evening.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                      Ratings:
                      +5,404
                      Spray WD 40 around pots to keep slugs and snails away... [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1