suitable trees?

Discussion in 'How To Use Xenforo' started by marley028, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,310
    Perhaps if you were to dig in some shingle, grit or sand it might open up the soil and help drainage. :)

No, it wouldn't make any difference to the height but would restrict branch growth around the trees.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • marley028

marley028 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +17
      Thanks @Sheal it might be worth a try.my hens have made short work of some of my shrubs:mad: so I have to give the whole bed a good going over and I was going to plant the trees then.I'm holding out until autumn?!we have had weeks of rain and I think I'm right in saying trying to work clay soil when it's wet can do more damage than good.it's now scorching hot so I thought best to leave it:spinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • marley028

Ratings:
        +17
        Thank you @Sheal that's interesting to know about the tree height.much prefer trees to have space to grow fully and be able to appreciate them in all their glory :spinning:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830
          Hello again Marley. You have a large garden and you are right to be thinking about planting the trees first, the bones of the garden as they say, as they take the longest to grow. If you buy bare rooted trees which are available from November onwards, you will save a lot of money. Pot grown trees are very expensive and bare rooted ones are not. I think there are some good tree growing nurseries in Northern Ireland which will supply bare rooted trees. If you are really serious about attracting birds and wildlife you would be wise to choose mostly (though not all) native species. Also what is the wider habitat to where your garden is? It sounds rural but which trees grow well in the wider habitat? Which birds do you see in the areas around where you live? Adrian Thomas's (author of the book I recommended) running theme is that you attract the birds in the wider habitat into your garden by extending that habitat into your garden. His recommendations for the most wildlife friendly large trees are: Alder, Beech, Hornbeam, Larch, Limes, Oaks, Poplars, Scots Pines, Sycamore and Yew and for small trees, Apples, Birches, Buckthorns, Cherries, Cyprus cupresses and their hybrids, Dogwoods, Elder, Field Maple, Hawthorn, Hazel, Holly, Pears, Rowan, Snowy Mespil, Spindle, Strawberry tree and Willows.

You say that beeches grow well nearby. This is a clue to your soil type. They do not grow naturally on heavy clay so I think you can rule that out. It's easy to tell. Dig down a foot or so and if it is sticky when wet, you have clay. Most soils are a mixture of different kinds.

• Like Like x 2
          • marley028

Ratings:
            +17
            Hi @Redwing,so sorry it's taken me so long to respond to your last post!I am waiting for the book you recommended.My local library has been able to order it from another branch,I am really looking forward to reading it.
            Interesting about the beeches not liking clay soil?!I knew our soil here was quite acidic but as for anything else I really never gave it a thought to be honest!we couldn't understand why our shrub bed was dry and cracked in a dry hot spell but really swollen looking and very heavy during autumn/winter.after doing some research this is what made me think it's clay.I will certainly take your advice and dig down a foot.many thanks for all your help & advice,it's very much appreciated :ThankYou:

• Like Like x 1