Summer Bulbs Planting ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Jan 30, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Well @HarryS an update on our Galtonias. I now have 100% through so not bad for Van Meuwen! 1 of mine came through well before all the others and the good news is that we would appear to have been sold flowering sized bulbs, the bad this it's going to flower probably within the next 2 weeks:yikes:. Ok the bulbs have been in a greenhouse and it's been very very warm the last couple of weeks but even though. I have Agapanthus which are housed in the same way and they won't flower for ages yet.
    I am presuming once I take the plunge and plant the Galtonias out in the garden that they will flower much much later as intended. I don't need things flowering in June as have loads of stuff for then, it's later in the season I get a little short of new things putting on a show. Hope yours are doing well. I'm hardening mine off and will be planting them out in about a week. Wonder if slugs like them? It's certainly a bumper year for the damn things. I don't normally have too much bother with them because of the mulches I put down but they are dreadful this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248
      @silu , I was just about to post ! My Galtonia all sprouted , they took 9 to 13 weeks . I just planted them out yesterday with some Echinacea Purpurea I got as bareroot plant freebee from J Parkers . Just need to sit back and wait now :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Hi @HarryS . How are yours? The ones I kept in the pot have all flowered really well. Some even had 2 flowers. Photo is of the rest I have planted in the garden. Sorry for the lousy photo but couldn't get too near as have huge clump of pretty Geraniums flowering infront of the Galtonias and didn't want to tread on it. Only snag is some you know what b slug or snail has munched through most of the stem of 2 flower stalks. Never ever known slugs/snails to be so awful:gaah: image.jpeg

• HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,248
        Just viewed my Galtonia and the Echinacea Purpurea I got as a freebe from Parkers , both have large flower buds so hope to see something in a week :blue thumb:
        My dahlias are going well the Bishops Children are flowering and the Cactus Dahlias are just starting. Also the Cannas are about too flower :dbgrtmb: I almost feel like a proper gardener now :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
        • HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,248
          @silu , well my Galtonia have started flowering just two weeks ago . Just been for a short break in Trearddur Bay and I thought they would be in full bloom on my return . Well the top buds are just about to bloom , but the lower ones are dying back ! Was hoping for a touch more flowering life , but still a very pretty plant :blue thumb:
          I am always trying to expand my knowledge of perennials which is minimal to say the least.

DSCN1716.JPG
          DSCN1715.JPG

• Like Like x 2
          • silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Mine have done the same @HarryS which is a little bit of a pity but still well worth growing IMO.. I am amazed at how big the flowers and leaves are as the bulbs were really not that big AND 1/2 of my bulbs are throwing up another flower. As I had mine in the greenhouse over winter mine started flowering a bit earlier than yours (about a month ago) there are still plenty flowering and more to do so a minute amount well spent!

• Agree Agree x 1