1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

System for identifying plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clanless, Sep 23, 2018.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,625
    Too late....:yikes:

F1 hybrids - I'm 'comfortable' with - they could be produced in nature.

Messing about with genetic structure less so.....call me a bluff old traditionalist if you like :spinning:.

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Clanless my friend. Forgive me but I am finding difficult following your line of questioning. Originally you asked some very valid questions. I for one did my best to answer those questions. You come back with, 'suggestions asto the meanings etc' followed by an assortment of your assumptions and more indirect questions. Sorry, but what exactly are you looking for?

I replied to your original post. Then in your reply. You go your own way by saying that nobody knows how to speak Latin. In relationto latin used in gardening. You might like to get a copy of Prof. William Stearn's book on Botanical latin. Even a cheapy dictionary will give a break-down to pronunciation. There are scholars who have come down through the ages who have continued and cultivated not ony the Latin language but many others. My friend please explain. What exactly are you looking for. To be honest. I am inclined to suspect you of starting a general wind-up.

• Like Like x 1
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,625
      I find it easier to learn by example - so am suggesting some examples to confirm or otherwise my understanding of the various terms. Reading a definition from a book is not as helpful to me as citing examples and discussing such.

We'll have to differ on whether Latin is a 'dead' language - even the Italians don't speak Latin, as their forebears did - I can't accept that an academic can correctly pronounce Latin in conversation, because they do not know how it was originally spoken. If no one knows how to correctly pronounce Latin, then any dictionary entries on pronunciation are at best educated guesses. We can write and read Latin because we have hard evidence which shows us how to do so - we can't claim the same for the spoken word - because we don't have any record of people speaking it.

So unless Prof. Stearn has spoken to a Roman :noidea:- I'm afraid he is simply guessing as to how it should be pronounced.

It's the same as asking an Englishman to speak Welsh - he does not know how to correctly pronounce Welsh words until he has spoken to someone whose native language is Welsh and he has been corrected. How would you pronounce were I live - Yr Wyddgrug? :biggrin:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,389
      Err...could they? I always understood that they are a result of selective and sustained deliberate crosses :scratch:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,884
        Cultivars and hybrids
        A cultivar is any new plant that comes about in cultivation (rather than in the wild). This is regardless of whether the new plant was 'planned' - the result of a plant breeder deliberately hybridising (crossing) two plants of the same genus - or whether it is an accident - the result of plants doing it themselves! The cultivar name is written Genus species 'Cultivar', for example, Rosa rugosa 'Scabrosa'. Etiquette demands that a capital letter is used for the cultivar name and that it is in quotation marks.

[​IMG] Sometimes the parents' names are not known, or have been lost in the mists of time, so only the Genus and Cultivar names are used. For example, Dahlia 'Bishop of Llandaff' or Phormium'Sundowner'.

A hybrid is a new plant that is the result of a cross between two botanically distinct species. The name x Genus species. Most crosses occur at species level. For example; Forsythia x intermedia 'Lynwood', which is as a result of crossing Forsythia suspensa with Forsythia viridissima.

Relatives
        Another great benefit of Latin names is that you can see quickly which plants are related as they have the same Genus name. There are more than 3,000 types of rose available in the UK.

And if you really 'get into' names you'll find that every Genus belongs to a bigger group called a family. So, believe it or not, tomatoes, potatoes, chillies and deadly nightshade all belong to the same family, called Solanaceae. Then there are roses, strawberries, pears, apples, and hawthorn - they're members of the Rosaceae family.

• Like Like x 2