Tatton Flower Show to stop being an annual event

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Alan Clark, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,338
    Actually, I do but thekind of people who are struggling to feed their families, clothe their children, find a decent job, get any sort of health care are not the market at which the RHS shows are aimed.

That's a whole different discussion.

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +31,299
    I really get annoyed when I see shows priced so that the blue collar class like myself cannot afford to go. I couldn't afford the magazines and rely on libraries and forums like this one for information and to vicariously enjoy their gardens.

Lots who are living paycheque to paycheque have no interest in gardening however those that would truly enjoy these events are excluded just because they don't have the means.

It certainly underlines a type of pecuniary snobbery. Perhaps that is part of the reason so many elect not to garden.

In my opinion it is a big, "Stay out. This is not for your kind!" sign.

Of course this is just the opinion of this lowly peasant. :redface:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,759
      That's exactly the point I was trying to make, but you put it better! A high proportion of people in the area around Wentworth are living with absolutely nothing to spare for luxuries, and for some not even enough for essentials. The Office for National Statistics publishes data on income deprivation in the UK by local authority area. Rotherham is the 45th most deprived area (out of 316), Barnsley 44th, Doncaster 48th, Sheffield 61st.

It would be nice if the RHS could find a way to make the show accessible to those who are interested but can't afford tickets, even if it was just a gesture, something like a limited number of cheap tickets for locals. I'm not suggesting they cut the membership price, they do need to maintain an income in order to keep going.

• Like Like x 1
      • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,338
        The RHS supports community garden - RHS Community Outreach / RHS Gardening - which helps people who haven't got their own psace or need advice to grow their own plants, especially edibles.

It is not an organisation run by or for the rich and the snobby. It covers all aspects of trying to get more people invlved in gardening. I do agree it would be good to have a few tickets at each show offered to people in the community projects. maybe they do but don't shout about it.

I shall enquire.