Tell me what you think is being sold here

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +32,996
    @fat controller It in the product description as below from amazon

Product Description

Product Description
    The wine is dealcoholised by using spinning cone columns in a form of low temperature vacuum steam distillation to gently extract alcohol from the wine while minimising the effect on the taste of the wine.

Ingredients
    De-Alcoholised Wine made from Syrah Grapes
    Preservative E-242 and Sulfur Dioxide

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,884
    It is @Jiffy, but you have to scroll down to see it - the top half of the page, where the great big BUY button makes no mention that it is alcohol free. Now't I can do about it now, but I am still royally cheesed off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      Report it to your local Trading Standards Office, FC

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      If you added some cheap voddy to it using the Pearson Square method to caculate how much is required to acheive the desired ABV, it would need 2 bottles to get it to 12.5% ABV, doubling the cost of that wine and diluting the flavour. DO NOT use https://www.arkay.co.uk/arkay-full-...rinks/28-alcohol-free-vodka-377000050228.html

http://www.vinovation.com/Pearson.html NB That appears to use US galls which are 3.8L or 0.83 UK gall.

Was wondering whether it could have sugar added and be re-fermented, but have no knowledge of how much e242 inhibits fermentation, and bulking by sugar addition would dilute flavour, but only about half that of fortification.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,466
      I would be inclined to ask them to pay for the return of the goods. The advertisement is misleading. Having done a Google for the product I see that most other retailers actually state it's de-alcoholised and Amazon don't.

As that detail is not in the main body of their ad I think it certainly comes close to being deliberately misleading and not accidentally misleading. In either case I think they are in breach of the Trades Description Act.

I think that it may breach the requirement for traders to act with professional diligence, meeting the standard that can reasonably be expected.
      The way the advertisement is displayed is likely to materially distort the behaviour of the average consumer, changing the decisions they make (e.g. convincing the consumer to buy the product).

I'd be inclined to write to them again and thank them for the goodwill gesture but suggest that as they seem to be in breach of the spirit of the Trade Description Act by not acting with due diligence expected of them as a reputable trader, you would expect the very least they would offer would be the cost of returning the goods and a gesture of goodwill to cover the inconvenience and embarrassment.
      It clearly states 'wine', in the main headline, which gives the expectation that it is what wine normally is. Nowhere in the main body of the advertisement does it mention 'de-alcoholised'.

No threatening letters at this stage. :nonofinger: Everything should be all sweetness and light until you see how they respond.

Trading Standards, Consumer Rights Act (replaced the Sale of Goods Act) and the Advertising Standards Authority should not be mentioned at this time but are ammunition for a later date.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        I used Amazon's own search for "non-alcoholic wine' and found several they sell, but all the others are clearly described as being non-alcoholic without delving into the product details.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • shiney

Ratings:
          +122,466
          Thanks @Scrungee that's further ammunition if needed.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,087
          Can see how its misleading, only thing I would have been wary about was the price, if it looks too good to be true it usually is, especially stuff bought on line.

I dont like Amazon, only used them a couple of times, but you dont know where its coming from or from who.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +51,884
          @shiney, they have acted perfectly reasonably in that respect - they offered to collect the goods and then arrange a refund, so I can't fault them there. The fly in the ointment is that the goods are not with me, and the recipient does not want to have them returned/replaced (brought up the old fashioned way to appreciate and not return anything that is a gift).

Peeved as I am, it appears there is little more that can be done.

As for Trading Standards - if they cannot properly sort out the mess where people's tumble dryers are burning their homes down, I doubt they would be of any use for six bottles of juice.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +122,466
            Six bottles is much easier to deal with.

The tumble dryer fiasco is now about to be handled by the government. Whether that will speed up the situation is anybody's guess. :wallbanging:

• Like Like x 2
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +92,087
              Only gardeners corner can go from 6 bottles of wine to a tumble dryer in 2 posts.:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 5
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +122,466
                Maybe they can get the wine to ferment if it's put in the tumble dryer. There you are, that's now combined the topics. :whistle: :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • NorthantsGeezer

NorthantsGeezer Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,621
                  I think it should have been clearly listed as non alcoholic in my opinion. I feel a bit stoopid even saying that :biggrin:.
                  It reminds me of something that happened to me many moons ago (maybe 15 years). I can't remember the exact date, but I think it was around 2.03pm on a Thursday afternoon.
                  I parked in a lay-by and popped into a shop. On my return, there was a parking ticket lady (traffic warden), writing me a ticket. I said 'Whoa whoa' or alike, 'what are you doing that for?' She said I was parked in a no parking area.
                  I said 'How do you come to that conclusion madam?'. She then pointed at 2 yellow lines painted on a drain cover. I said, 'I am not parked on the drain cover'. She looked at me :noidea:.
                  Then she pointed at a small sign attached to a post. I said, 'Thats great, but wouldn't you look for the lines first, and then the sign if you needed to? (The purpose of the lines), and as there were no lines (resurfaced lay-by), then I have not parked on any'.
                  She cancelled the ticket (I didn't think they could do that??).
                  Anyway.....result :blue thumb:. I hope you get it sorted @fat controller :).

• Like Like x 4