THANK YOU FAT CONTROLLER

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wiseowl, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,878
    This one @Sheal?

quote3.png

What happens when you click it? It should show a message that states that it has been added to multi-quote, and the blue Insert Quotes button should appear at the bottom left corner. I am 99.9% sure that this is a result of Edge abandoning plug-ins completely, so Flash and JavaScript are not supported at all, and cannot even be enabled. Sadly, the only solution to this is to use a different browser

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,313
    @Fat Controller the quote side of the black button is the part that isn't functioning at all but the reply side allows me to quote without the full text coming up. Now I'm wondering if it's always been like this as I've only ever used the reply button in the blue band for the full text. Should both halves of the black quote/reply button work separately?

It's under two weeks since this problem started so I'm not sure the problem is with Edge unless changes have been made in the last couple of weeks.

3. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +48,878
    The left side adds the highlighted text to a multi-quote, which should then bring up the Insert Quotes button at the bottom left of the text entry box; the right hand button should insert the text directly into the text entry box without it being added to multi-quote. One thing to try is updating Java - if that is not up to date, it could cause this problem (and there has been an update to this in the past couple of weeks)

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,313
    Yes it did that before it stopped working although I wasn't using it for multi quotes, just a single quote.

The right hand button is not dropping down the full text of a post, it's only allowing me highlighted quotes - unless I highlight the whole text on the post.

Where would I find Java please?

5. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +48,878
    That is working exactly as it should then?

quote4.png
    The two options above will only show when you have selected a portion of text, and then they will quote the selected text only into either a multi-quote or the text reply box as appropriate. If you want the entire post to be quoted, you need to use the blue Reply link at the bottom right hand side of the post

• Like Like x 2
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,313
      Yes, I agree with that @Fat Controller and I use the blue Reply link. :)Which leads me back to my first point. The quote side of the black quote/reply button doesn't function at all, apart from the fact it appears after highlighting. As soon as I hit it - it disappears.

I think we're going round in circles here. :biggrin:

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +48,878
      Ah, sorry - told you I was thick. :biggrin:

That again points to Java, and Edge not liking plug-ins; you can try downloading the most up to date version of Java here remembering to restart your computer afterwards... BUT - this is not a guaranteed fix as Edge is increasingly huffy about dealing with certain protocols.

Alternatives to try are Chrome, Firefox and Opera (my order of preference would be Firefox, Chrome then Opera)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,313
        No you're not thick! You've sorted out a number of issues for me and others. :)

I think I'll abandon this for the time being, I might get into deeper water if I start messing with Java. Chrome and Firefox don't work for me and I've not tried Opera, if I do that will probably go the same way.

I thank you indeed for your help but it's probably best I leave tinkering well alone unless something major goes wrong. :)

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +48,878
        Fair enough - bear in mind my standing offer to remote into your PC (you have to give a one time password, and watch the entire time, so it is fully secure) if you want me to cast an eye or give you any help.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,313
          Thanks again for your offer of remote FC. :thumbsup: I already have Teamviewer set up with my son so know how it functions. :)

• Like Like x 2